Glitch in Microsoft Word 2000

Discussion in 'Software' started by Lev, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Installed my old copy of Microsoft Professional 2000 on my new PC yesterday and there is a wierd glitch in Word

When you type the letter "i" and then a space it comes up "Microsft has encountered a problem and needs to close". Doesn't matter if it is upper or lower case "i".

Anyone come across this and solved the issue?

I have this installed on my old PC and it works just fine.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Anything in this directory?

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\STARTUP

If so, try removing it and restart Word.

3. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

The path is there, but it is empty :(

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ok, when it crashes, there should be a more information, or details link on the error window. See if you can find the appname and modname.

5. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Appname and Modname are both winword.exe

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Try it in Safe Mode Lev.

7. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Exactly the same thing in safe mode, Ad.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Any hopes for a reinstall of Office, or Word at least?

9. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I just did that this morning before posting :(

Any other ideas? Do you suspect a particular file that I could perhaps copy over from my old computer???

Thanks for your help Ad :)

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I'm no Office pro. I just have a few tricks up my sleeve from working at MS--and doing the tech job that Office techs were too stupid to do.

11. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

Have you gone to Microsoft Office updates? There could be some patches that you need. Also, my Microsoft Office has an upgrade key...if you have one you may want to give that a try too. winword.exe glitches are common (unfortunately), but hopefully yours can be resolved. Also look in your Event Viewer, and it should give you more information about the problem. : )

12. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I don't mean to butt in or anything but is the OS the same on both machines, including SP versions? Just a thought.

13. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Sometimes deleting your Normal.dot template fixes up a lot of problems.

Word will just recreate the file when it's started, but like anything else, make a backup.

14. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Word has an auto correct and auto list function. Pressing i may invoke either, for example it may be trying to create a list i, ii, iii, etc. Does the crash happen with the auto correct functions turned off?

15. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions. I worked through them all methodically and deleting the normal.dot template seems to have done the trick.

:)

16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Pffft. I knew that would fix it, I was just testing Insomniac.

17. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

:) :p

I work on the basis that if I reply to hundreds of posts, sooner or later I get one right. :)

18. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Me too. Occasionally statistics play in my favor. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds