Upgraded to 9800GT. Now sound doesn't work.

Discussion in 'Software' started by halflife0506, Mar 25, 2009.

1. halflife0506

halflife0506 Private E-2

Problem description: I upgraded from a 7800GTX to a 9800GT today, and now my sound doesn't work. I use onboard sound, and it was fine with the 7800GTX. However, once I uninstalled the video drivers for the 7800GTX and installed the drivers for the 9800GT, my sound stopped working. Four things are listed with a yellow question mark in my Device Manager now that I've never seen before:
    Multimedia Audio Controller
    Other PCI Bridge Device
    PCI Memory Controller
    SM Bus Controller

Also, when I go to "Sounds and Audio Devices," it says "No Audio Device" at the top.
    Edit: another thing I should add is that these problems occur even when I have no video driver installed.

Attempted fixes: I reinstalled the video drivers, to no avail. Checked the BIOS to see if my onboard was disabled--it's set to "Auto" with the only other option being "Disabled." Googled a shitload and now I have a headache.

--

Operating system: Windows XP Pro

System specs:
    BFG 9800GTX
    ASUS A8N SLI-Deluxe motherboard
    AMD 4400+ Dual Core CPU
    Onboard sound
    (I think that's everything that would actually matter when dealing with this problem)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

NOTE: I am no good with computers so if there's a driver I need to download please try to give me direct links :(

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Reinstall all your drivers from the A8N CD, all of them, then install the 9800GT drivers and reboot. I have an A8N also and I seem to recall that's what I did.

3. halflife0506

halflife0506 Private E-2

I dunno where the CD is :(. Any links?

4. augiedoggie

5. halflife0506

halflife0506 Private E-2

Thanks for the help :) I have to choose some options to see what you're talking about. Just clicking that link won't bring me to what you saw. What do I click?
    I know I put Motherboard, then Socket 939, then A8n SLI Deluxe, but what do I do once I hit search?

6. augiedoggie

Click on audio, then third one down for your setup. Hmm, I thought I gave you the exact page but apparently not, guess ASUS doesn't like direct links.

7. halflife0506

halflife0506 Private E-2

I only see this:

Realtek ALC850 AC'97 Driver V5.10.0.5900 WHQL for Windows 2000/XP/2003 & 64bit XP/2003.

Is that the correct one? How do I install it?

8. augiedoggie

Hmm, driver looks OK. download it somewhere easy to remember, say your desktop and then double-click the icon and answer the prompts. The download will take quite a while as ASUS is a darn slow site, especially tonight!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds