Hello and Help

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by fesup2, Oct 6, 2008.

1. fesup2

fesup2 Private E-2

Hi, My name is Fran. I' m new to these threads and posts. Don't really have a grasp at what to do here. But was hopeing to learn really quick. I've had quite a few computer problems lately. Learning as I go. My Laptop has been giving me fits. I have reinstalled the whole system. My Problem now is microsoft reports that PC tools has installed spyware doctor and is the cause of my computer crashing or freezing. I've installed Belarc advisor (at the advise of PC Tools) which concurs that I didn't install spyware doctor. PC Tools also advised, to uninstall and reinstall. I've done that. It doesn't seem to have solved the problem. when I use the Windows Media Player to rip CD's, play CD's, (and now after reinstalling PC Tools, it froze during logging off), it freezes or crashes and reboots. Sends a report to Microsoft who reports to me that it is cause by spyware doctor and created by PC Tools.
    Does anyone know if there is a compatiblity problem bewteen PC Tools and Windows media Player 11? Can anyone solve this issue for me? Should I Just drop PC Tools? I was Thinking Zone Alarm until I logged on to Majorgeeks, did a search, and seen all the talk about Zone Alarm.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2008
  2. okietechnician

okietechnician Private E-2

Re: PC Tools Versus Microsoft

suggestions: i would uninstall that program totally if it's interfering with windows. There are numerous progs that will probably do what you are trying to accomplish. On a new install i will do a full backup with a program like "drive image xml". Then if you have any probs it will restore your pc in it's original state it was in at "new installation" time. Of Course you can do a image backup at anytime. What are you trying to do with the prog that is giving you trouble. I'm sure there is a sufficient alternative. I hope this helps.

3. fesup2

fesup2 Private E-2

Hi Okie Tech!. I just realized that I probably needed to post this somewhere else. Sorry everyone. New to this. Please bear with me and help anyway.
    Everything else seems to be fine after the install okie. Just the CD rom crashing during use. I have backup discs. and I'm not sure what you mean by image backup. I can get rid of PC tools but I'm not sure which Anti-virus to go to. Any thoughts on Zone Alarm anti-virus? thanks for response so quickly

4. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's Fran.

Start new thread in the Software Forum
    The guys in there should be able to help you out.

Good luck.

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

6. fesup2

fesup2 Private E-2

tks for the welcome Studiot! I'll read the forums. and I've posted in software. No hit so far

7. wildwolf220

Just be patient while waiting for a reply in software fran.
    It might take a little while for someone to reply to your post.

8. fesup2

fesup2 Private E-2

tks wild wolf. I will be patient. and tks for the welcome as well. Might I intrude and ask what Anti-virus you use?

9. wildwolf220

I use Avast! Home Edition

It does the job for me and it's free;)

10. fesup2

fesup2 Private E-2

tks wolf. Does it comes with firewall?

11. wildwolf220

There is no avast firewall but there are many others to chose from.

I use PC Tools Firewall Plus

But this link is realy helpful if you would like to check it out for others.

Top Freeware Picks

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  12. okietechnician

Just a guess. Sounds like maybe your cd rom is going slowly defective or maybe some of your disks are scratched. Just having fun here in thread. Lot of times it's hard to diagnose without all the details, so i'm just flowing with this thread. :) Also I been useing Avast AV home edition for a long time. It is a fantastic AV and very easy to use. It has saved me many times. :)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  13. fesup2

fesup2 Private E-2

tks guys. I think I need to check out something new. I'm not for sure what though, that's why I'm here. Gonna let the experts tell me. I've had problems with this Hp laptop since I bought it in 2006. I bought warnities, thought I was covered, still had a hard time getting Circuit City to fix anything. They said they replaced the hard drive. I told them then about the CD rom. All they did was put a Cd in and said " Well It looks fine to me". It doesn't do it everytime. But now it's getting to where it does it more often. I Just had to reinstall windows because of it. It crashed one day, and then when I would start it up it wouldn't load windows. It was in Dos, stating that it had been shut down wrong and gave options to try like, Pick last known good configuration. None of the suggestions worked. so I reinstalled from my backup discs. This Hp has a partitioned hard drive for recovery. But I didn't known how to use that. I'm just really thankful for a place like majorgeeks to come to. Plus it's good I learn.

14. okietechnician

What you might try is spraying compressed air in the cd rom opened of course :) The LED that read the disk may have dirt or dust or debris on it. This will keep it from working properly. That would explain the intermittent reading by the cd rom. Can be other things like a worn out drive belt and things like that. Circuit C should have tried it several times to see if it would mess up. Only other thing that comes to mind is maybe the driver to the cd rom has become corrupt but probably not likely. Kinda sounds like the LED prob. Just guessing.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds