no audio device, complicated

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lochyslater, Jan 15, 2007.

1. lochyslater

lochyslater Private E-2

ok this is kinda complicated i guess, just take the time out to listen pls.

where to start :S, When I go to Sounds and Audio devices in control panel the thing says no audio device, its actually all greyed out, but in my computer it says i have 2 things as audio stuff.. (Standard Game Port and Unimodem Half duplex audio device). My freind says he has them too.. so i dont know whats happened there. my speakers are wired up correctly and WERE working untill my stupid mother did something, which she cannot recall doing :S, in the system folders or something... I just cant seem to get these things working.

throw me questions and ill answer most things ive treid except for putting windows xp disc in i cant find it lol and thats probably what i need to do.

i need help, and dont want to pay some idiot to fix it when i can do it myself with a bit of help from you hopefully smile.gif

thx

2. eyeblazin

eyeblazin Private First Class

Is this a sound card or onboard sound? Check your device manager. Right click on My Computer and select properties. Go to Hardware tab then select the device manager button. click on sound, video and game controllers and see what is listed and if any have an exclamation next to it. You can try reinstalling the driver or updating the driver also.

3. lochyslater

lochyslater Private E-2

Standard Game Port
    Unimodem Half duplex audio device
    SoundMAX integrated digital audio

their the only things that are their.. My freind suggested i get soundMAX but it didnt work.. and when i try uninstall it, it only comes back on the next reboot saying found new hardware soundmax audio controller.. or something.. :S

another freind told me to get SiS7012 audio driver, which i cant get going becuase this soundmax thing keep coming up..

i just need these things fixed..

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try going to your computer manufacturer's site. Under Support and Downloads enter your model number and find out the exact sound card installed on your model. Then you'll know what driver you should be looking for. Randomly installing sound cards won't get you going.

I don't have the links handy but Everest and Belarc advisor also work for determining your hardware. I think Belarc is online and fairly easy to read the output.

5. eyeblazin

6. lochyslater

lochyslater Private E-2

ok i got everest and it says i have a SiS 7012 Audio device.

i have downloaded the program and it wont install..

when i go to install the package it runs through fine, when it gets to the actual installation part it goes straight through instantly and doesnt show any sign of installing the device..

when i reboot, like it says too, it comes up with "found new audio dvice SoundMAX audio ETC.. ."

and, i cannt seem to get rid of soundmax.. how?

7. lochyslater

lochyslater Private E-2

Brand is asus,

celelron 2.4ghz.

768mb

2.40 gigahertz Intel Celeron
    16 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

8. eyeblazin

What is the brand and model of your comp? What OS is installed? Do you have a soundcard installed? SiS 7012 sounds like an onboard sound chip will try to research it a little.

9. eyeblazin

10. lochyslater

lochyslater Private E-2

brand and model.. :S

the mother board asus.. dunno model..

dont have added soundcard it is on board ..

the most recent driver is infact that which somone has allready done for me.. BUT i cannot install the thing becuase the SoundMAX thing, which another freind told me to dload, keeps coming up in the "found new hardware" thing..

11. sach2

Are you uninstalling SoundMAX from Add/Remove programs? If not try this:

12. lochyslater

lochyslater Private E-2

There is no entry with soundmax as a name..

13. sach2

In Control Panel>Device Manager if you right-click on SoundMAX and properties under the general tab is there a location listed? If there is something like PCI#,device#... or is location unknown?

14. sach2

I'm still not sure how SoundMax works. It looks to me that it is integrated into some sound cards but you still need separate sound card drivers. What I am getting at is that you may have had SoundMax all along even with no sound and that is why it is detected and reinstalls itself.

My previous post was leading to the suggestion that if there is a PCI location than SoundMax is incorrectly installed and that you could update instead of deleting the SoundMax audio driver in Device Manager by directing it to the SIS7012 .inf file for your operating system found in the unzipped SIS7012 folder. That way the drivers would be installed before reboot.

I'll recommend again going to ASUS for the correct drivers. Hopefully a simple .exe that will uninstall faulty drivers and reinstall automatically.

If Everest gives you your motherboard model number go to Asus website(Support section) and get the exact drivers for that mobo. If Everest won't give you a model number then this program will and is very easy to navigate. The English only version is a stand-alone program that you double-click to run whenever you need it. http://www.gtopala.com/siw_download.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds