connect computers/singlemodem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by inot66, Mar 14, 2006.

1. inot66

inot66 Private E-2

how do i connect 2 computers to a single modem.my kids computer is in next room would like to get internet access to it.least expensive way possible.
    Thanks

2. Mark Stoker

Mark Stoker Private E-2

Get a crosover cable long enough to reach from one pc to the other. To which ever Pc you wish install the modem and setup so you have internet.

(all this is on the computer with internet) Go to network connections. Do a network setup wizard. Make sure you press the option whichs says my computer connects directly to the internet then press next choose you internet connection, then choose what you want to share it with. (local are connection)
    Finish the wizard and go to the second Pc and run the network setup wizard but select the option this computer connects to the internet through another computer, follow the rest of the options. Choose whether you want file sharing on or off and then finish. You should now be able to get on the internet on the second Pc if the one with the modem is connected to the internet. (means the internet Pc has to be on all the time if you want internet on the other one. Wouldnt be a problem to me as i have mine on 24 7 but you may do things differently.

3. jetaylorpb

jetaylorpb Private E-2

The way described by Mark means the computer with the modem must be on and connected to the internet in order for the second pc to connect.

What I did at my house was install a modem in the second pc. I ran the phone line to the "in" port on the modem for the first pc, then run another phone line from the "out" port on the modem for the first pc and plug it into the "in" port on the modem for the second pc. Now just duplicate the dial-up internet connection onto the second pc. That allows either pc to connect to the internet without having to have both pc's turned on. One thing with this method is that only one can connect to the internet at a time. Of course you could always create a second connection method like Mark described so that either pc connects to the internet and then shares the connection with the other.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds