Connect two computers w/o hub

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mam9103, May 28, 2006.

1. mam9103

mam9103 Private E-2

I tried to connect my two home computers with just an ethernet cord to the cable modem. It worked for awhile. I was reading (http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/simple.htm) that I should also change network settings; however, one computer has a cable modem while the other has a 3com ethernet modem. Suggestions?

2. user_x

user_x Private E-2

What operating system? You are using a crossover cable to create a p2p network? When it 'worked for awhile' do you mean you had connectivity between both computers, and did that include internet access?

3. mam9103

mam9103 Private E-2

answers

Both computer have windows 93SE. I have a surfboard motorola modem on one, while the other has a 3com ethernet modem. I crossed the computers with an ethernet cable. They both had internet, but not the same service. For example the main computer had internet explorer and cable, while the secondary computer had earthlink. Don't know if that made a difference. The secondary computer then stopped working and entered the bios command. It tried to connect then with the other computer but couldn't (PFE?? or something). I then left the computer alone for a couple months now its okay. I guess the computers acted separately, with the exception of the internet connection. I want to connect them with the internet, as well as printer and such. How do I go about that? Router or just use the current system and set-up network too? Like the internet site I mentioned last time?

4. user_x

user_x Private E-2

The easiest possible way to share an internet connection for you would be to use a router. Forget using a crossover cable and configuring ICS. I'm not sure why you were using 2 different services - you are using the motorola service on a leased line, correct? The 'motorola surfboard' is a broadband connection.

Buy a router and some cat5/cat6 cable, connect them both and drop earthlink. There is no need to use 2 subscription services to get internet access, unless that is your plan.

5. Solomage

Solomage Private E-2

I agree that a router would make things very simple, especially as you'll be permanently connected, irrespective of which machine is on.

A more thorough explanation of what you have, and what you want to do would be helpful, is there any chance for a diagram of how you want your internet connection to work? Do you want both machines to use their current internet connections, but be able to share information between them, or do you want to use the one connection for both pcs?

Also, please explain what you mean by " it used to work.", it would be much easier for us to advise you if we know exactly what is going on.

that tutorial site seems ok. I'd also recomment wown.com as another reference.

6. mam9103

mam9103 Private E-2

more info

I took an ethernet cable from the port on the surfboard modem to the ethernet port on the other computer. They both have internet as a result, however, I would like them both to connect via the surfboard modem. It seams as if they are using two different internet connections, earthlink and ? based on the icon in the upper right corner.
    I tried to change the software to make them both match, but it cannot communicate with the surfboard modem. I would like for them to connect with the same service provider, and use the same printer at the minimum.
    Finally whenever the second computer opens windows, it tells of the ethernet connection (PFE?). Don't know what that means or if that is my problem. The computer failed to work before when it said that and went to the bios screen. After being unused for a month or so it started working again, but it still mentions that connection.

7. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Diagram please.

-Jim

8. mam9103

mam9103 Private E-2

Diagram

I tried making a diagram, but cannot attach it due to its size. I will explain my set-up with more detail, though. I have a surfboard modem which can be connected either with a usb or ethernet cable, so I connect it with both. The ethernet to one computer and usb to the other. Its that simple. However, I would like the computers to share the same type of connection. According to the icon on the top right corner they are different. Also I would like for them to share the printer. Thats everything I think.

9. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Ohhhhhhhhhhh

You can not use the modem in that fashion. It is only ment for one connection either USB or Ethernet but not both. The modem is not a hub or a switch.

-Jim

10. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Nor a router!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds