Stop Ubuntu Automatically Capitalizing Filenames

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tueur, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Hi Guys,

I dont class myself as a Linux power user in any shape but I have come across a really irritating problem.

My main rig is dual boot with Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows 7. I have recently started a bit of web design and I use primarily use Linux for this. I am hard coding the HTML and CSS using GEdit but for some reason when I save or rename anything Ubuntu is automatically capitalizing the first letter of the file name. this is a real pain as I am using filezilla to upload my site to my webspace and HTML is case sensitive. This means that my relative urls dont work but more importantly index.html is being renamed to Index.html which is causeing a 403 Forbidden error. Is there anyway that I can turn off the "feature" as I currently have to upload the site then re-name everything on the FTP!!!

TIA

2. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

To turn a gedit plugin on or off, to go Edit->Preferences, and go to the Plugins tab.

This appears to be the Change Case plugin which is disabled by default.

You would also enjoy -- View> Highlight Mode> HTML

or use of Geany

3. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Hi BoredOutOfMyMind,

Its not in the HTML code but the actual files themselves. ie the Ubuntu equivelent of Windows Explorer. The actual filename index.dat is renamed automatically to Index.dat. If i try and rename the file to remove the capital then Ubuntu just changes it back!

4. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Hmmm, your original question said you were hard coding in gedit (like notepad) and now you are saying Caps occurs in save to Nautlius?

I made a small "test" file, saved in ~/Desktop and then a new file and save would be "Unsaved Document 1". The file name is highlighted and typing and hitting enter renames it what you want- as per test. Change filename in Nautlius is still with F2. I am at a loss what you are seeing.

[​IMG]

5. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Sorry, I was trying to give the background to the problem (ie I code a file path in gedit as "pictures/image1.jpg" and if works fine but when I upload to FTP the site fails to display correctly because Ubuntu appears to be re-naming the link to "Pictures/Image1.jpg")

I may have just been having a moment because I was very tired last night and I cant find anything on Google to support my findings.

I will have another look tonight and see.

Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds