How do I get XP to be recognizing my flash drive at startup?

Discussion in 'Software' started by conceptualclarity, Mar 3, 2014.

1. I can get my system to recognize my 128GB flash drive if I pull it out and plug it back in. But I don't want to have to do that every time. Most importantly I have programs intended for startup on my flash drive, including Process Explorer and WinPatrol, and they aren't autostarting because of this non-recognition of my flash drive at bootup.

Previously I wasn't having this problem with non-recognition of my flash drive at startup. It began happening in the last few days.

Operating System
    Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit SP3
    CPU
    Intel Pentium 4
    Northwood 0.13um Technology
    RAM
    2.00GB DDR @ 166MHz (2.5-3-3-7)
    Motherboard
    Dell Computer Corp. 0G1548 (Microprocessor)
    Graphics
    Default Monitor (1280x1024@60Hz)
    Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (Dell)
    Storage
    74GB Seagate ST380011A (ATA) 28 °C
    3GB Lexar USB Flash Drive USB Device (USB)
    119GB PNY USB 2.0 FD USB Device (USB)
    Optical Drives
    SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S
    Audio
    Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

Only thought at present is that the USB driver for your flashdrive is a bit corrupt and to try and fix this have no flashdrives plugged into your PC, then open Device Manager up and navigate to the Universal Serial Bus Controllers branch and open it up and note the listing then plug in your flashdrive and note what new option lists, likely USB Mass Storage device, right click that and uninstall, then unplug and replug in your Flashdrive and the driver will re-install.

reboot and test.

3. I did all that, except the reboot. And now the flash drive F is showing as empty. This is very distressing. I had put a lot of stuff on it. What do I do now?

Update. Now it's showing one of its many folders.

4. I'm in really bad shape now.

5. Good news. I was confused in thinking I lost all my data on my 128GB flash drive. All that happened is my system switched the names with a small flash drive I use for a paging file. So E and F have traded names. I forgot to use the Safely Remove Hardware function. I wonder if that would have prevented this difficulty.

The shortcuts in All Programs are badly messed up because of this. Is there any way to quickly switch them over, or will it have to be done one by one?

Why would my 128GB flash drive have gotten corrupt in the first place, and is there any way to prevent that?

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Don't start messing about with your shortcuts as you can assign the old drive letters to these two drives using Disk Management and everything will be back as it was. Post back if you don't know how to access Disk Management and assign different letters to drives.

7. Thanks, Earthling. I don't know where Disk Management is. I don't think I've used it before. I looked under System.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

start, run, diskmgmt.msc.

9. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

As Adrynaline says, or Right click My Computer > Manage. In Disk Management right click the drive > Change drive Letters and Paths.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds