Graphics card upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BabyGirl27, Aug 8, 2005.

1. BabyGirl27

BabyGirl27 Private E-2

Hi all, new to the forums, a girlfriend suggested asking for help here. So here goes.

I currently have a Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 (256 MB) card. I am looking at upgrading. The reason, my son plays BF2 and says a better card will improve his game play. The shops suggest the 6600 256mb card ($199aus) or the 6600 Gt for $300aus. I do not want to spend too much, $200 was the extreme limit of what I can budget for. Is this a good buy or should I be looking at a different card or maybe go secondhand.

My system specs are
    P4 3ghz
    Windows xp pro service pack 2
    512 mb
    Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 (256 MB)

Thanks for any help or hints that you may have.

2. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

prices sound about right, dont bother with 256mb on a 6600 series card, what about a 6600gt with 128mb? PC hardware isnt like a car, they have extremly good life expectancy in terms of reliability (as long as you dont smash it or something). If you can find a 6600GT 128mb used then more power to you.

3. problemswithvaio

problemswithvaio Corporal

pci-e or agp?

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

It will be AGP, Nvidia didn't start making PCI-Express video cards till the 6x series.

5. problemswithvaio

problemswithvaio Corporal

wait what? I just got rid of a geforce 6600 gt pci-e.

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

Nvidia started making the 6x series of cards pci-express only, then they (I guess) realized there was still a markget for agp, so they started making 6x AGP series video cards at a bit higher price.

What are you confused on?

7. BabyGirl27

BabyGirl27 Private E-2

Confused, I have had a search on the net for stores in Australia for graphics cards. This is were I get confused, there are so many cards that are 6600gt 128mb with a whole lot of different brand names. The guy at the shop were we got the computer said to stick to Nvidia cards. If some one could explain why there are so many cards with the 6600gt 128mb or point me in the right direction as to what I should be looking for. I am sick off being treated like a silly chick when I walk into a computer store; I get that when I have to get my car fixed. Sorry about that but us girls get treated like idiots when talking about computers (apologies if I have offended any girls on the forum).

8. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Any and all 6600GT are about the same, the things that change will be a)the quality of the memory on it, and b)the type of heat sink.

You dont have to worry about point A as long as you don't Overclock, and point B might/might not make the card louder or more silent.

9. BabyGirl27

BabyGirl27 Private E-2

Thanks Omegamerc, would you have any suggestions on one, as they all seem to be around the same price and would like the best value for money. Thanks for all the help.

10. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Bests ones are:

PCI-E? you have Asus EN6600GT and for AGP you have BFG Tech BFGR6600GT

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds