Quake 4 in-game problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by IanTheGeek, Jan 11, 2008.

1. IanTheGeek

IanTheGeek Private First Class

Happy New Year Geeks!

So, I've started my new year off with a dream job for many of us: Managing a Cyber Cafe! Woot! ... Not as easy as it may sound however. I am running Quake 4 as one of our many games, and it has become quite popular. Unfortunately I have a one computer that does not seem to like this game.

The Symptom:
    Quake 4 crashes during gameplay at random times. Specifically; the screen shows various rectangular boxes with a matching multitude of colors in each box. As the mouse moves, the rectangles on the screen change various colors accordingly. If the game is closed, the symptom is gone. This problem does not occur with any other games.

The Setup:
    PCIe eVGA 7950 GT 256MB
    AMD Athlon 3500+ @2.21 GHz
    MSI K8N Neo4H Motherboard
    1 GB Super Talent PC3200
    Windows XP w/SP2 and latest updates
    nVidia Drivers: v.169.21

Any help would be great (and any advice about running this place! :confused)

Ian

2. shattered_likeness

shattered_likeness Private E-2

Ok, your first step would be to try putting a different video card in the machine. My bet, is that you have a faulty video card.

Check that and then get back to us

3. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

yeah sounds like a bad/overheating video card. Does it happen as soon as the game starts? or does it take a little while? (even if it is just a few seconds) Mainly, does it play normally for ANY amount of time. Artifacting during 3d apps is almost always caused by overheating, especially if it doesnt happen during 2d stuff. It is odd that it only happens with one game though...I'd personally try something like 3dmark to see if it's a hardware problem for sure or not. At least 3dmark06 so it puts some strain on the system

4. IanTheGeek

I'll try out 3dmark06 and see what happens... If I've got a problem with that, I'll try switching out cards. I'll be sure to let you guys know!

Thanks for the uinput!

Ian

5. IanTheGeek

Okay, so I ran 3dmark06, and changed video cards. Same problem... Does anyone know if there is a DX update or somethat that can fix this?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds