USB flash drive not working.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Morethanchris, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Morethanchris

Morethanchris Private E-2

Okay, so I have a Lexar 512MB flash drive that has worked great since I got it. Now when I plug it in, I get the USB confirmation sound, and it is listed as a device in the device manager and the Remove USB Hardware shows it, but no drive is shown. It doesn't display in the available drives in My Computer or when I use the Windows Explorer. Could someone please help me with this?

2. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

I'm not sure what the problem is, but you aren't alone. A friend of mine had his computer stop recognizing his drive just sitting there. He tried it in another laptop, and it worked fine, and mine worked fine in his. It seems to be a flaw in the Lexar Jump Drives. Have you got the latest drivers?

3. Morethanchris

I've tried using the driver on the drive, and the generic mass storage device one in Windows with no luck. I couldn't find any other drivers for it.

4. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Odd. Did you check the website for the driver? www.lexarmedia.com

My friend ended up taking his back and exchanging it for a new one.

5. Morethanchris

I actually called Lexar and was put on hold for an hour before I got an answer. It turns out that it is a problem with some of their drives, but there is an easy fix.

Right click on My Computer-->Manage. Go to Disk Management under storage. In this area, the flash drive will show up as unpartitioned. If you right click it, it will allow you to create a new partition. Just create one that is the same size as the drive and choose an assigned drive letter. Fixed.

Thanks everyone for trying to help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds