Windows 98/start up error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lisa-Jo, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Lisa-Jo

Lisa-Jo Private E-2

Hello,I am new to this forum,i have tried to find a solution to this problem without success.

I am on Windows XP but my nieces have been given a windows 98 computer without internet access although i hope they will be able to surf the net soon.

Someone who knows'98'computers set it up for them,complete with a start up disc.It worked fine and then suddenly when they turned it on they get this...

C:|Windows\command.com
    searching for floppy start up from cd rom

I cannot seem to do anything to rectify this.It says this error message with or without disc in.
    I am only au fait with XP and any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Kind Regards
    Lisa-jo

2. Lisa-Jo

Lisa-Jo Private E-2

Well i have had another go this morning.It wont seem to start in safe mode at all!
    I just get pages full of error codes,whether i do or dont use the start up disc i think it must be serious.
    Has anyone any ideas?????
    Lisa-jo

3. skullbucks

skullbucks Private E-2

under dos, go to the windows folder and type edit command.com

then try finding something regarding the problem you are having, such as something related to starting from floppy... delete this line (but write it down so you dont forget it) and try running windows. if it doesnt work put that line again inside command.com.

4. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

You do not want to muck about with Command.com as it is an executable file and will just give you a page of hieroglyphics if you try.

With the start up disk in, although you get a lot of error messages, does it boot to the A:> prompt?

If it does type SYS C:

5. Lisa-Jo

Lisa-Jo Private E-2

Thankyou very much for your advice skullbucks and Yargwel

I am off to try it out
    Kind Regards
    Lisa-Jo

6. Lisa-Jo

Lisa-Jo Private E-2

Tried this,the pc does not recognise floppy is loaded,i tried to put this command.com but again pages of error codes..to many to write down..oh for copy and paste but i cannot access start bar or anything.:rolleyes:
    Thankyou for you help Skullbucks

7. Lisa-Jo

Lisa-Jo Private E-2

I do get the A:> prompt..and i did type SYS C: and it said
    Data Error reading drive C and then something about ignore and fail!

I do not understand windows 98 at all,I cannot understand why it was working fine and then this especially as it has not even been on the internet!

I think there must be something fatally wrong with it
    bloomin puters!:rolleyes:
    Thankyou anyway Yargwell
    Lisa-Jo

8. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Ok boot to the A> prompt again and try Fdisk /mbr (note the space between the k and the / ).

It will run quickly and not appear to have done anything but once it is back at the prompt try a re-boot.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds