What processor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ellis902, Jan 7, 2007.

1. ellis902

ellis902 Private First Class

In a p.c I am buying it comes with a 3800+ x2 processor , but for £20 about $35 , I can upgrade to a 4200+ x2 processor , is it worth it? Or isn't there a much improvement. I am not planning to over clock. Thanks.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

The 4200+ is 200mhz quicker than the 3800+ and £20 is the general price difference between the two so its a good deal, just depends what you use your PC for, but many will say if your willing to pay the £20 then more mhz is always best.

A quicker CPU is always an improvement, but the margins between those two are slim.

3. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

for that amount of money going from a 2.0GHZ to a 2.2GHZ
    why not.
    That is roughly the going price difference for them anyway (from what I've seen)
    So they're not doing you any real favour
    But its worth it.

4. ellis902

Ok thanks for the replies , I guess i'll get the 4200+ then. I'm going to be using it for gaming.

5. AMDxp

AMDxp N5638J's #2 Fan!

If its for gaming then definately the faster processor is for you and assuming its an AMD then DEFFINATELY get the faster one you wont regret it :)

6. volumeone0686

volumeone0686 Corporal

dude overclock it to like 2.6 man.

7. ellis902

I don't overclock. I tried doing it to 2 graphics cards before but they both were unusable after. Don't wanna risk it again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds