Server service not starting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by barb210, Aug 22, 2009.

1. barb210

barb210 Private E-2

Hi

Can anyone help please. My printer is networked from my pc to my laptop but all of a sudden it is no longer printing from the laptop.

The pc is saying the "server service is not starting Error 87" parameter incorrect whenI try to start it. Also the computer browser is disabled and I am unable to start it.

I am not very technical so any instructions need to be fairly straightforward please.

Thanks for any help.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

OS of laptop?
    Have you looked in Services to see if server is set for auto?

3. barb210

barb210 Private E-2

Hi

Thanks for replying. The server is started on the laptop. Both pc and laptop are Windows XP.

4. Greywood1862

Greywood1862 Private First Class

I had a very similar problem and discovered the computer was infested with Vundo. You might want to visit here http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

Follow the instructions TO THE LETTER. After you post your logs it will probably take a few days for someone to respond. The folks who run that thread are absolutely super at what they do, so be patient.

Good luck!

5. barb210

barb210 Private E-2

Thanks for the advice. Will run all those programmes and do a log. The only one I can't do is combofix as I am using McAfee and it won't allow me to save it, unless anyone can tell me how to bypass it.

Thanks again.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If you have issues running combofix then skip that step for now and continue with the guide and as Greywood mentioned start a new thread in malware forum and attach the logs and also post a link to this thread in it too, but McAfee has a bit of a issue with Combofix and even if you did get to download it, it may not run with McAfee installed.

Could you also tell us if you have tried a repair of Windows for any reason?

Plus double check these are all started and set to automatic Computer Browser, Distributed File System, and NetLogon Services as all are dependancies of Server Service.

Do you have a software firewall, if so disable it.

7. barb210

barb210 Private E-2

Thank you. I will do that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds