How to add a .bin File to update manually AVG Free Edition?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mikepapa, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikepapa

mikepapa Private E-2

Hi, friends,

1. Periodically, Major Geeks provides .bin Files for the purpose of Users updating manually AVG Free Edtion when its automatic update fails. Example: u7iavi9952c.bin , Sept 2, 2007.

2. I am a new User of AVG 7.5 . The manual method of undating would become useful in case of a rainy day. However, being a PC newbie, I have no idea:

(a) HOW to open a .bin File, or

(b) into WHICH AVG Folder (there being so many) to put the .bin File after it is opened.

3. Mr BJS's two posts of July 7, 2007 under "Updating manually AVG Free" do not help because he had somehow found the solution himself, but did not say what it was. I would appreciate it if some learned friends would shed light on what is an enigma to me please. :cry Thanks.

mikepapa

Attached Files:

2. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

You have to change the update settings for manual updating from a certain location. Open AVG and if you're not already go into the Control Center. From here double click on "Update Manager". Click on the Properties Tab and uncheck the box next to "Do not ask for the update source". Click OK and exit.

Now, when you cilck the "Check for Updates" button it will say Internet or Folder. You want to create a folder on your desktop, download and save the .bin files into it and point AVG to this folder. This will manually update AVG AntiVirus.

3. neldan

neldan Private E-2

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  4. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

Hello Mike and Welcome to MGs

As Bjgarrick said above, you have to change settings, below are more details if you need.

Open the Control Center

Double Click on the Update Manager

On the Properties screen unselect the option labeled "Do not ask for the update source"
    Click Apply and Ok.

Click the Update button on the bottom of the screen.

In the pop-up window, click the Folder button.

Navigate to the folder where you had downloaded the update file(s) into and click Ok.
    (Sometimes this needs done twice for AVG to see the file.)

5. mikepapa

mikepapa Private E-2

Thank you for the advice. I tried a manual update of Sept 3. Success.

6. mikepapa

mikepapa Private E-2

7. mikepapa

mikepapa Private E-2

Thank you for the advice. I tried a manual update of Sept 3. Success.

8. ranger67

ranger67 Private E-2

I have Avg 8.0 and I doubled click on update manager but I did not see a properties tab. I am missing a .bin file.

9. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Hi Ranger67 and welcome to Major Geeks! :wave

Normally you should start your own thread by clicking the New Thread link near the top left of the page but never mind. :) I still remember feeling lost when I first joined. :-D

Don't worry about what's going on with your AVG - it's a problem at their end and should be sorted out in the next day or two. I've seen heaps of people asking about this today.

All the best!!

10. ranger67

ranger67 Private E-2

Thanks it seems to be working good today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds