virtual memory for win xp home

Discussion in 'Software' started by jimmyhoffa, Dec 26, 2003.

1. jimmyhoffa

jimmyhoffa Private E-2

hi guys, i have a question for ya i hope you can help me with.i using winxp home.i do home audio recording on a program called cool edit pro and when i have too many tracks or fx plug ins running it will shut down for lack of ram.in winxp home under system properties there is a place where i can adjust virtual memory"total paging file size".it is currently set at 372mb.is there a setting that would alllow cool edit to run under heavy use?i close all other programs when running the studio and have 82 percent free hard drive space and have gotten rid of all unnecessary programs and files.any help would be greatly appreciated cause i want to hurry up and finish getting my demo recorded.thanks .

2. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

well the obvious answer would be to buy more ram but as your here i guess thats not an option at the moment
    so when you say you close other programs does this include background services these can use a lot of ram and if your only mixing tracks etc a lot of these can be stopped temporarily so i suggest to go here its an excellent site and will hopefully free up enough ram to finish your music
    http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

3. jimmyhoffa

jimmyhoffa Private E-2

hi general.ihave all background programs shut down when recording and mixing the only thing running is the audio program itself.i wish i could afford more ram but i don't have enough extra cash at the moment so i'm trying to find a way around that.i'll check out that webste and see if it helps at all.thanks for the help.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I know from your post that your VM is set to 372mb... quick question is how much ram do you have? rule of thumb is set the VM to 1.5 x the ram memory you have installed ( Kodo posted a good guide...which I cannot find at present )

plus from what I know about VM size and recording software is they tend to like a fixed VM min and max the same value... what I would be temped to do is make your VM a fixed one about min 512mb and max 512mb...

also post some system specs.

5. dperino

dperino Capt. Caveman

I have my paging file set at 750 megs fixed. Go to control panel / System / Advanced tab. Under the Performance box, click on Settings, then Advanced, and in the virtual memory box, click on change. Click the custom size radio button, and fill in the boxes with how big you want the paging file to be.
    A fixed size, (same size, minimum and maximum) tends to keep file fragmentation down.

Damn Halo. You fast!! :)

6. DavidGP

It must be the fact I slept in till 2pm today so I'm WIDE awake now.

just to add to DPs post above... I like him have a fixed VM mine is set to 512/512mb and I have placed this on its own partition of 1gb which also keeps fragmentation down...

here is some info on settings for cool edit ( now owned by Adobe and called Audition ) Click Me

Last edited: Dec 26, 2003
  7. jimmyhoffa

jimmyhoffa Private E-2

halo thanks for the cool page on the cool edit windows settings, that was all the info i needed right there and it sped up the programs processes.right on!!! thanks for the help man you got me out of a jam. :cool:

8. DavidGP

jimmy my pleasure mate ... glad i aimed you in right direction :)

hey if you finish your music i would love a link to it as I love all sorts of music and would like to hear what you produced!

9. jimmyhoffa

jimmyhoffa Private E-2

thanks halo. will do.later.

10. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

run your system through its' paces. then open up the task manger and look at the performance tab. Look at the size of the PEAK commit charge(k) and that should be your VM setting. Just convert that to MB and you should be good to go.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds