Scam

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tonyhale, Jul 3, 2009.

1. tonyhale

tonyhale Lounge Lizard No.2

JUST BEEN DONE BY SHOPPER DISCOUNTS.CO.UK
    Bought a memory stick from mymemory, ( the one that went through the washing machine) shopperdiscounts somehow got my details somehow. so not only am i confused I'm broke. aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :cry

2. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

TH - what exactly happened???

3. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

How did they get yoru information off your memory stick? :confused What exactly happened ? :confused

4. Aimee Wilbury

Aimee Wilbury Staff Sergeant

Report them to the BBB or the equalivant in your country.

5. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

someone stole your credit card info on line?

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Back to 20/20 hindsight.....you need to make sure that when you are on a site where you are using your cc....that the address bar shows it as a secure site.

7. tonyhale

Checked my monthly credit card statement it showed £10 had been taken out by a company called DISCOUNTSERVICES.CO.UK:cry
    When I purchased a memory stick from a company called "Mymemory" a secure site, when I was on their site i was asked if I wanted to join a 10% discount scheme, when I agreed :-o I was directed to a second web site, answered some questions, at no stage did I give my credit card details, there was no mention of a monthly fee. I'm just glad they weren't too greedy
    Spoke to my bank, They advised me to burn my existing card. Stopped all transactions to DISCOUNTSERVICES. and agreed to a full refund

8. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Lesson learned without too much loss. :major

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Tony

Depending on the Credit Card you have you have purchase protection and if you as mentioned did not authorise the charge then its fraud and the card companies legal devision will deal with this, give them a call and inquire.... I use Citi Bank and their leagl service is superb, so check yours. But as you mention they have already done this for you and not charged you which is good, but I would proceed with the below.

Citizens Advice Bureau and Trading Standards are ones to chat too on this, the Trading Standard dept may already have info on this companies bad behaviour.

10. tonyhale

Thank you for your advice. I was thinking of setting up a paypal account any thoughts

11. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

On the other hand, if you filled out a form for a discount site that was linked to a purchase you'd made, it's entirely possible that somewhere in the fine print it said they'd charge you an annual fee for the discount service. I got burned on that long before computers by checking a box on an order form. Credit card company (mine was Citibank then) told me it was my fault, but since they understood that's not what I meant to do they deleted the charge and issued a new card.

12. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

A word of advice for all, whenever you shop anywhere with your credit card, you have protection - one of the advantages to using a credit card rather than a debit card.

13. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yeah PayPal does offer you a level of protection, but your CCard should be enough, I generally use my own rule of thumb when dealing with online retailers, and will only use ones that have a physical address, phone number and email address visible, if they use the online email forums and list no address then I dont use them, also only use companies that others have used and recomend, while some online stores have too good to believe prices and maybe ok, I dont like the risk, far rather pay a few extra £ and have peace of mind.

Been shopping and banking on the net for over 10yrs and find it safe, so long as you keep your PC secure and take care with new online shops, research on them first before using, even send them an email query on a product, you get to judge how their customer service is by the lenght of reply and content.

Amazon is also a safe way to shop as you're protected by Amazon if using they 3rd partys that sell via Amazon.

Weird bit is that DISCOUNTSERVICES.CO.UK doesnt have a website, url links to soem old index for a website on a server, so would chat with Trading Standards dept Tony and see what they say.

14. tonyhale

Thanks HALO:) I think i'm in love:drool

15. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

An even safer way if your doubtful or scared to use cc on sites, i know it's not always the case, but try and see if they have a phone number and call them direct, that way you know exactly what they're taking from you !

16. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I am paranoid about using my credit card on line.
    I used it once many years ago to purchase some books i wanted and had to use my bank to stop them making withdrawals, They kept sending things to me and saying if i did not want them i should return them.
    All i did was send an E-Mail saying " i have not solicited these items and will hold them for a period of 3 months to await your collection after which time i will dispose of them at your cost via an invoice from my solicitor" then asked the bank to stop any payments to the company.
    Funny part is they continued to send material but no invoice and i have not heard from them for about 4 years.

17. tonyhale

Tell them that in future your going to charge them for storage, that should stop them.

18. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

If you joined a book club, that's basically how they work. Usually they send you an email once a month telling you what the featured selections are, and you have a limited amount of time to respond. If you don't tell them you don't want them, they send them and charge you for them.

Sounds like they were gambling that most people would find it harder to return actual books than a post card.

19. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

@Sgt Tibbs
    I understand that but at no time did i get any E-Mail, these things just kept turning up at my door.
    I sent an E-Mail to stop any further deliveries that i had not ordered but they took no notice, I then sent a registered letter but still no response and it's then that i took the action i mentioned.
    This by the way is a very well known publication and i was surprised at the tactics used as i had always thought previously that they were very reputable.

20. tonyhale

Well known publication! I think I know the one, Like I said, tell them if they don't make arrangements for collection you will charge for storage. I did it to THE WELL KNOWN FIRM (you are entered if our free prize draw) and they sent a prepaid envelope, I've never been bothered by them since

21. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

@ Tony
    Thats the one, as i said i have not heard from them for over 4 years now but still have a couple of the books the rest i burnt after a year.
    I have now moved house so if they want to contact me they will have to search.

22. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

If companies keep sending you crap to your door i think you should SH*T in an envolope and send it to them with a letter saying "You keep sending sh*t to me so i thought i'd send you some of mine" hence forth i think they will stop ! :-D:-D

23. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Would be fun, but depending on where you live, it may be highly illegal. Where I am I suspect it would be at least one felony charge. ;)

If a company sends you stuff you did not order, you can keep it, or just refuse the item when it is delivered.

24. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Hey Fred, no worries here in the UK, the government are that pathetic where the law stands, you have to kill someone before the word felony would raise it's head, so sh*ting in an envelope the police would most probably call round and tell you there wasn't enough in it.

25. joey off the street

joey off the street Lounge Lizard No.1

roflmao

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds