Windows Shell Replacement

Discussion in 'Software' started by StratCat, Dec 16, 2003.

1. StratCat

StratCat Private E-2

Hi fellas, I have heard recently alot about "shell replacement" I have done "some" research on them and have so far read about geoshell, talismon, ashton, litestep. Have you guys had any experience with them pro's : cons? One you would recommend?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Well I looked into the shell replacement apps... but WELL being a geek decided to go it manually and have ended up with this at present not finished... but based on the GANT icons.

you need to find some icon packs that have been inbedded into the DLLs to do this but most of the good icon packs have been... well the ones I like anyway.

I have BTW heard that ASTON is very good.....

3. StratCat

StratCat Private E-2

Right, but I was wanting a complete replacement for the shell, something not so bloated....etc...

4. DavidGP

Huh....... whats bloated? the shell apps or the way I'm doing it?

5. StratCat

StratCat Private E-2

lol not the way your doing it the way MS does it.... lol i do not want to use the windows explorer shell i want to replace it

6. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Hey, Halo!

I was just looking at your attached image.

WHY (oh, WHY) do you call your D: Drive "Drive A" and your E: Drive "Drive B" ????

Inquiring minds want to KNOW!

7. DavidGP

Ah Wizzy dunno really apart from my setup is as follows

C = 2x 40g ata 133s in Raid0

and D + E are a 80g partitioned into 2 and I just named them A + B :)

oh and F: is a 1g partition on the Raid array for the swap file.

8. roguetrip

roguetrip Private E-2

I've used litestep for about 4 years and is very configurable, i made my own theme for windows 98SE with very fast in mind,
    it was 3x stable than the explorer.exe shell, and took 1/4 the resources that explorer needed, my resources always stayed about 75 average, and 94 at boot, i also looked into other file explorer viewing replacements and 2xexplorer is a good one instead of using windows.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds