CPU usage High

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HuntingWolf, Feb 10, 2006.

1. HuntingWolf

HuntingWolf Private E-2

Hey geekinites, this is my first post, so fell free for comments on my posting abilities.

So heres the problem. I recently built my first PC. Heres whats inside:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 939 pin (OC to 2.4 ghz)
    Asus A8N-SLi
    1GB Kingston HyperX RAM (400mhz)
    180 Sata GB(dont know what kind)
    BFG Nvidia Geforce 7800 GT OC
    Turtle Beach Catalina Sound Card
    Windows XP Home edition with SP2

Now for the problem. My CPU seems to be going through a consistent high usage. Even idle it pumps at about 40-65% constantly. Even with the OCing on both CPU and Graphics card, Im still getting lower framerates. Even worse I benchmarked it and its nowhere near fast.[​IMG] (notice the Ai Booster, look at cpu usage, same on all task viewers.) My friends Compaq Presario SR1320NX is faster on a bench than mine. This frets me much, considering the money I dished out for it. And here is what I did try.

Running MSCONFIG and clearing startup, no signifigant change (only 5% or so decrease)
    Used multiple Process montiors to verify that it wasnt a display error
    Defragged harddrive and ram, no change
    Disable Norton, no change
    Updated drivers and bios, no change
    Disable AMD Cool N' Quiet technology, no change
    Scanned for spyware, malware, virus, trojans, adware, none found

None of the processes seem to show any CPU activity, so theres something desperatly wrong. Someone please help me, Thank you.

2. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

Strange. Have you tried running in safe mode?

3. Steeev

Steeev Corporal

A shot in the dark.. Have you enabled speech recognition at any stage, and forgot to turn it off?

4. HuntingWolf

HuntingWolf Private E-2

Thanks for such a speedy reply. Well I booted in safe mode (which I should have done first, duh) and my CPU was at a normal speed, you know 0-15% idle as in this SS.
    http://www.upload2.com/?cmd=_viewer&file=9c0a358df2600af2612c5e50413f69aa.jpg
    [​IMG]"
    And heres one with taskview 6
    http://www.upload2.com/?cmd=_viewer&file=/2a471b315ac45220e13a96698ed788b2.jpg
    [​IMG]Now I have one final ss, after i rebooted into normal.
    http://www.upload2.com/?cmd=_viewer&file=/1e8b3d2eb1eeb2a1fb6f20661dd3380d.jpg
    [​IMG]
    Now I have stopped all other programs, and even uninstalled Norton (didnt like it anyway). Which programs are possibly responsible for my CPU speed.
    Nope, but thanks for the help. :)

5. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

That's bizarre that it shows 'system idle process' at 99%, yet your processor is still running 57%...

Are you showing any activity under the 'networking' tab?

6. HuntingWolf

HuntingWolf Private E-2

No activity in networking, but looky at what I did find. I found a program called eXtended task manager, and it showed me that the CPU and SIP were in sync together. Now I know that there is a display error somewhere, but my CPU is still getting pounded by something. I seriously think its one of the service but Ive already tried that. ::GROANS:: Why me?

Heres a snapshot of what Im talking about...
    [​IMG]

7. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

That is good that you got rid of norton, but now you need a new antivirus/firewall, download spybot S&D avg antivirus, ZoneAlarm and spywareblaster. obviously the problem is something running that shouldn't be, could be spyware, could be a legitamite prog. look at your taskmanager and see if anything is using alot of cpu.

8. HuntingWolf

HuntingWolf Private E-2

Ive tried all that Splitt3r. Ill try several more antivirus/spyware progs, but Im about half a sec away from starting from scratch. God I wish I knew what the hell was happening.

9. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

It's a head scratcher, for sure. When you tried safe mode, was it with or without networking support? I'd try both to see what the difference is. I'd also try unplugging from the internet & see what happens in 'normal mode'. It really seems like something is instructing the computer from the outside & thus isn't showing as a process.

10. HuntingWolf

HuntingWolf Private E-2

Ill try it. Ive submitted a support request to microsoft and maybe they will give me a clue to as what it is. Thanks for the support, especially you wavetar. ;)

11. HuntingWolf

HuntingWolf Private E-2

HEY I GOT IT! I submitted an assistance request to microsoft, thinking that it just had to be one of the services and a lady Jane contacted me telling my to disable all unnecessary drives in the device manager. I updated the usual suspects but check ALL of my drives. Eventually I got to PCI Standard PCI-to-PCI bridge, and had like 5 of them in a row and I disabeld the first one. Voila my cpu is back to normal!

Much praise to the almighty Wavetar! You are now my hero and I want to be much like you. And thanks to Jane of COMPASS, I want to make sweet love to you.
    lol
    Thanks again.

12. soldierofchrist

soldierofchrist Private E-2

that disable thing worked for me:major you guys are the bomb:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds