running a program i made in Linux (ubuntu hardy heron)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Still Learning, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Still Learning

Still Learning Private First Class

Ok, im pretty new to linux and am trying to learn how to program in C++, i made a small basic program that displays "Im alive!" on the screen (from lesson 1 on a tutorial like the "hello world" thing)

when i double click the program in the GUI file browser it does not work or do anything, the only way i can make the program work is if i goto my terminal screen and type ./filename

how do i get it to load with double click from the gui part of ubuntu? also if i rename the file with a .exe at the end will the same program work in windows? any help is appriciated, thanks

2. Still Learning

dude.. are you serious? am i blacklisted from this site or something? no answer in over 24 hours on a huge site like this?

one more question which maybe easier .. in MS DOS to search a whole dir tree for a certain file extention the cmd command is dir *.txt /s or whatever... is there a way in linux prompt to do the same? i tried the same command as DOS and it didnt work in BASH, or maybe i typed it wrong or something, thanks

3. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

The Linux users are smaller than the Mac or Windows users.

If you have ever tried to get an answer on the Ubuntu Forums, you realize sometimes answers are difficult.

The command line to search within a directory is ls and the command to search over many directories is grep

4. Still Learning

Thank you!!!! :-D any ideas on how to run a c++ program i created via terminal prompt in the GUI file system by double clicking? do i need to add special code for it to work in Gnome or KDI interfaces?

5. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Try this link
    -

:major

6. Still Learning

I allready know how to compile from the prompt allready.. my question is why can i only run it from the prompt instead of from the gnome GUI?

also the command to search a directory i found out is "FIND" not grep (unless grep is for unix or a diffrent distro or shell then what i am running) thanks though

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds