Increase memory?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thesim, Aug 6, 2006.

1. thesim

thesim Private E-2

I have a Intel 82865G Graphics controller and was just wondering If I can make more memory available to it, my games need a bit more oomph?.
    If not then its OK, they run reasonably well. :)

Any suggestions would be helpful.

2. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

You can do this in the bios by pressing the del key when the computer boot
    but if you put more memory for your video controller you will have less for your O.S (windows)

How much memory your have in totals ?

3. thesim

thesim Private E-2

I have 1GB of RAM and 96MB of Video Memory. When I press the DEL key it just says keyboard failure and carrys on loading the OS.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

5. thesim

thesim Private E-2

Woops, my mistake I have 64MB of graphic memory not 92MB :eek:
    I've been into the BIOS and theres the only option of changing the AGP Aperture. :confused:

6. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

I have 64MB of graphic memory that's pretty low the standard now is 128 or 256 the best is to buy a new vidcard if possible !!!!!

7. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Time out. You said Intel Graphics and games. Forget it, Intel has always been the joke of the video card industry. They are not capable of any advanced features whatsoever and still choke. You might consider a 256 meg video card replacement from ATI or Nvidia.

8. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Just wondering is this still valid with the new "Conroe" mobos with Intel Chipsets?!? I am within 1-2 days of buying one.

9. Major Attitude

Yes, Intel video card has nothing to do with the chip and the board. Intel, and I use Intel boards and chips, seems dead set on pushing crap video cards on the public.

10. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Just to clarify we are talking about an onboard GPU in comparison to a standalone dedicated Video Card, couple good links for you "thesim":

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel865g/

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel865g/sb/CS-009168.htm?iid=graphics+865main&

Well MA if you install the Dedicated Vid Card and switch of the intergrated GPU would an ASUS P5WDH (example) with an Intel motherboard chipset be impaired in the Vid Card area? Does the intergrated GPU play a part of transfering data even when switched off in BIOS?

11. Major Attitude

Dont matter if its onboard or solo, its the same crap card :)

12. DavidGP

Also need to ask thesim, is this PC a Desktop or Laptop,

If laptop you are out of luck in adding a different graphic card as the graphic chips are on the motherboard and are not changable, so your stuck with what you have unless you buy new laptop.

If Desktop then you will need to check if you have a AGP slot ( you should have one ), then go with Major A's advice above in choosing a card from ATi or nVidia.

13. thesim

thesim Private E-2

It's a Desktop. Friend has a NVIDIA card which is very good for graphics. :)

14. DavidGP

In that case you are good to go with getting a AGP card in lieu of your onboard graphics. ( some onboard gfx disable once an add-on card in plugged in some need to be disabled in the bios )

15. thesim

thesim Private E-2

Just been thinking, how about building my own pc. :) But first I'll need to do research and learn the in's and out's. :eek:

16. padams

padams First Sergeant

It all depends on you. If you want to lay down the cash to build a new one, then build one. there's nothing better than building your own pc built specifically for what you want it to do. However, depending on your current system you may want to just upgrade the hardware you have. What kind of set up are you currently running?

17. thesim

thesim Private E-2

Unfortunately it's my mam's pc and she won't allow any upgrades.

Here are the specs:

DELL Dimension Desktop 3000
    Intel Inside Celeron Processor 2.66GHz
    146GB Hard Drive
    1GB RAM
    Intel Inside 82865G Graphics card 64MB memory

:)

18. padams

padams First Sergeant

yeah you should probably build your own then. Gotta respect your mom's decision not to upgrade. just start making a list of what you want and ask for some of it for christmas and birthdays and all other gift giving occasions. that's what i did and i built a pretty sweet rig. let me know what you think.

19. thesim

thesim Private E-2

Well I have a job and that can pay for the build. But I will need some information on what goes where first before I plug the hard drive in the CD drive. :)

20. padams

padams First Sergeant

no problem, i'll walk you through it when you get your new hardware.

21. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds