help! what is an IDX file extension?

Discussion in 'Software' started by herestoyou, Feb 18, 2007.

1. herestoyou

herestoyou Private E-2

help!
    i've discovered a whole bunch of IDX files stored in my documents. i can't open them with any of the programs on my computer, so i don't know if it's safe to delete them. can anyone tell me what IDX files are, and how i can open them?
    thanks guys.

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

.IDX files are indexing files. The .IDX extension is used by TONS of programs. Here's a link to more info:
    http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=IDX
    If you check the link, you'll see it's used for alot of different programs. Are .IDX files safe to delete??? I'm not sure. But if you recently removed one (or several) of the programs listed at the above link, the leftover .IDX's should be safe to delete.....

hopperdave2000

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

My response would be yes, as any indexing program actively installed or using them should recreate them with no issues. But thats only an educated guess :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds