Buzzing Noise when playing games

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sheepondrugs, Aug 11, 2014.

1. sheepondrugs

sheepondrugs Private First Class

Hi people,

I bought a new computer back in June which I built myself. Everything worked fine, until now.

Nothing has been moved, knocked, or changed inside the case.

Problem:

When I open a game it starts buzzing. I looked online and I don't really know what kind of buzzing it is to determine the problem.

I tried to change the v-sync in the game settings and the buzzing changes to a different buzzing sound.

My friend told me it is coil whine, but I'm not sure? I only bought it in June. I haven't been gaming much either. (It never did this before).

I uploaded a video, the sound might be a bit quiet, but you can turn up your sound a bit. (I promise there are no loud sounds in the video to pop your ears/speakers).

http://youtu.be/wWtKCRP27Ek

PC Specs:
    CPU: Intel Core i7 4820K @ 3.70GHz
    GPU: PowerColor TurboDuo R9 280X OC 3GB
    MOBO: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4
    SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB
    RAM: Patriot Viper 3 Black Mamba 8GB
    PSU: Corsair RM 850W

Operating System:
    Windows 7 (64-Bit)

Can anyone determine what the sound is? and what I should do?

Many Thanks as always, Chris. :wave

2. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Try routing your audio cable as far from your video cable as possible . . . sometimes a poorly shielded cable can cause interference or receive interference from other data cables. The fact it only happens when you are gaming (i.e. heavy graphics usage) indicates this could be the issue.

I've also read where someone solved this type of issue by going from 16bit to 24bit audio . . . but I have no direct experience with this.

What brand computer is it? Anything on their site about such an issue? If a custom build, check the motherboard site and web chatter about the board for mention of such an issue.

3. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Sorry - read right over where you said it was a custom build.

4. sheepondrugs

I changed the audio settings, nothing. I unplugged the speakers/audio cables and disabled all audio devices, still the same.

I'm not 100% sure its the graphics card, could be the PSU or motherboard.

When I load a game the buzzing starts, if I alt-tab, the buzzing stops.

5. sheepondrugs

My computer makes a very very faint buzzing noise when using Firefox, Also when I move the mouse/scroll on webpages it makes a slight buzzing noise also. :confused

6. sheepondrugs

Just tried another game, same thing happens. (buzzing) But on this game I can change the FPS. 30FPS is the lowest and still buzzes, but as it goes up in FPS, the buzzing gets worse.

7. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Interesting. Power supply, maybe? I know an overloaded power supply can emit some noise . . . a whining or buzzing sound. Corsair products are fairly good quality, to my knowledge, and that model should have enough wattage for your system . . . but you never know.

I read there was a recall on the RM850 (and the RM750 units) back in Nov. '13 because sometimes the fan would not come on before the unit reached 45C and it would auto shut down, but there was no mention of there being a noise associated with this issue.

Just for general information, the recall was for units made with the serial number 1341 (the first four digits of the S/N) or lower. The first two numbers '13' are the year 2013, and the second two numbers indicate the week manufactured.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds