Optimum Security Set-up or Over Kill?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Samadhi7, Jul 13, 2007.

?

Optimum Security Set-up or Over Kill?

1. Optimum Security Set-up

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Over Kill

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. Samadhi7

Samadhi7 Private E-2

I am using NOD32 anti-virus program + ZoneAlarm Pro firewall + Spy Sweeper anti-spyware + Spyware Doctor anti-spyware

The reason for the 2 anti-spyware programs is that I've read several articles on the web stating that no 1 anti-spyware program can't get all the spyware, but the combination between the two best anti-spyware programs: Spy Sweeper and Spyware Doctor got 100% of spyware threats in tests. So since NOD32 and Zone Alarm Pro are both top rated programs, I figure this should be an optimum security set-up.

However, with all 4 programs running together at the same time and each having active shields I was a little worried that this might be an overkill, as all processes will have to go through 4 filters, which I imagine might slow down the system or create conflicts. I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 with 1.66 Ghz Core Duo and 2 GB of RAM. Is this good enough to effectively have all 4 programs running all the time or should I consider keep the Spy Sweeper and Spyware Doctor closed and just opening them for daily manual scans. Of course I'd rather stop the spyware before it gets on my computer.

Where is the balance? Am I being overly paranoid or is this the optimum setup?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I would argue that safe surfing is more important than any security app.

I'm not sure how your antispyware apps work, but I do know that the experts in the malware forum recommend NEVER having more that one antivirus, and one antispyware app with real-time protection.

3. Samadhi7

Samadhi7 Private E-2

When I checked the NOD32 anti-virus program website, it looks like it also blocks spyware as well. Would that then count as my 1 Real Time spyware blocker and thus should disable both the Spy Sweeper and Spyware Doctor, which are both, to my knowledge, realtime blockers and just use them for manual scans?

From NOD32 Website(http://www.eset.com/products/index.php):
    Comprehensive Protection
    Running separate applications for viruses, hackers, adware, and spyware can slow your PC, be difficult to manage, and provide questionable protection. Beware of large, bloated internet security suites that consume hundreds of megabytes on your PC. These typically exist because vendors have acquired products and 'bundled' them together. In contrast, ESET NOD32 was designed from the core as a single, highly-optimized engine that works as a unified Anti-Threat system to protect against a broad spectrum of malware. Viruses, worms, spyware, and other malicious attacks, which are constantly evolving. ESET NOD32 utilizes patent-pending ThreatSense® Technology to detect tomorrow's threats in real-time, by analyzing code execution for malicious intent - keeping you ahead of the malware-writers.

4. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

I would say yes, disable the realtime protection in Spy Sweeper and Spyware Doctor. Computer performance should increase dramatically.

5. Samadhi7

Samadhi7 Private E-2

Also ZoneAlarm Pro firewall has anti-spyware protection of some sort as well. So I should be safe then with just the NOD32 and ZoneAlarm Pro?

6. slopyjoemess

slopyjoemess Private E-2

I use zone alarm free for a firewall,Avg for an anti-virus and ad-aware, Spybot - Search & Destroy and windows defender.
    yes they are all free but i have NEVER had a problem why wast the money confusedconfused

:major:major:major

7. Samadhi7

Samadhi7 Private E-2

Do you know if the anti-spyware module in ZoneAlarm Pro is a resident type?

While NOD32 is the best AV, they didn't score as high is spyware detection and removal, I think I saw 75% detection and 50% removal of spyware in someones test. Though combined with the ZoneAlarm Pro and the manual scans from Spy Sweeper and Spyware Doctor that should be sufficient protection, right?

How often should I do manual scans?

Should I also do manual scans with online AV scanners?

I never said i spent any money on them.;)

8. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

This link is excellent for picking easy, effective, free security software.
    In each section it will say, pick only one, or pick more than one, or pick at least two, and so on. Picks List.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20#malware

This link is an extensive explanation of protecting your computer.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44525

Everyone has programs they like more than others. Thats not to say one is better than the other. You just have to find the one that you like. Or work well on your machine. I have tried different ones but always go back to the picks list. I am more comfortable with them because I know they work.
    The machine I am on now (win98) is old so I run as few things as possible
    Avast Antivirus (avg and this machine don't get along too well), Spyware Blaster and firewalled through the router. Spy-Bot I run once a week or more.
    I am pretty liberal in my surfing and haven't had a big problem in over a year. And that was due to one of my kids being un-safe when visiting sites.
    My XP machine has pretty much the same set-up, One good AV (avg) and one firewall (windows) and Spyware Blaster. On occasion I run Spy-Bot and Ad-Aware. Again no problems in over a year.

9. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

That should be plenty of protection. Try running the scans once a week, though I doubt you'll find anything getting through. Can't hurt to do occasional online scans if you use legitimate sites.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds