Dell computer tower with flashing orange light

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silverlake69, Jul 8, 2012.

1. silverlake69

silverlake69 Private E-2

I've read/heard many things, but not sure where to start. My wife's Dell desktop will not boot up, and is flashing an orange light. Because it will not do anything, what is the best way to start troubleshooting? Is there a trick to get it to boot? Do I open it up and visually check the inside? Worst case scenario, how do I get her info off her hard drive?

2. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

The flashing orange/yellow power light is usually indicative of a power supply failure or a main system board problem. Ebay might have replacements for the components depending on the model# (which you haven't supplied to us).

3. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Check all wires connected too the mob.

Your 4 pin connection could have came un-pluged and check your 20 or 24 pin connector as well.

Check all wires first.Some thing sounds like it poped out.

4. silverlake69

silverlake69 Private E-2

It is Dell Dimension 521. Is the mob, motherboard? Are the pin connecters you're talking about on the board? I have some older computers, how do I know which power supplies are compatible? I'll take a look inside tomm.

5. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

There is a 20 or 24 white pin connector on the main board these should be on the middle right side edge of the mob.

And in the top left corner there is a 4 or 6 white pin connectors.

I have a picture below to show you the 4 or 6 pin main connector.

That picture is your main power to your mob.

Attached Files:

6. silverlake69

silverlake69 Private E-2

I checked these and they were fine. There was an extra connection coming of the power supply, but that is for additional drives, correct? Nothing looked out of the ordinary, so I cleaned out the dust. When I reconnected the power cord, and pushed the button, it started up, like it was going to boot. But then it stopped and the light began blinking again. Does this tell you anything of what it may be now? What should I do next?

7. silverlake69

silverlake69 Private E-2

The power supply tested out OK. I disconnected and reconnected everything and now I have new symptoms. It started to boot up and on the screen it said something like battery voltage low and memory amount has changed, and then it went dead. I replaced the CMOS battery and plugged the power cord in and the power light went green and the fans ran, but that was it. It wouldn't stop, even if I held the button in, and nothing came on the screen. I had to pull the power cord, reconnected it again and it was the same thing, except now the power button remained amber, no flash. Any ideas on what to do next?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds