Dead PSU leads to Dead MOBO.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rothery21, Dec 15, 2006.

1. rothery21

rothery21 Private E-2

Got a eMachines T2895 that we first thought just had the PSU go out on it. Burning electrical smell and everything. So purchased a replacement PSU and tested it and it works. The problem now appears to be that the motherboard is shot. What I need to know is if anyone knows what kind of motherboard this came with, or can tell me where to look to find out what kind. Also, if replacing it is a feasable option, what with eMachines being proprietary in some areas.

2. BCGray

BCGray Guest

3. rothery21

rothery21 Private E-2

thanks for the link and the welcome. but, it doesn't tell me anything about the MOBO. anyone know where I can find identifying information on the MOBO?

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

5. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

or open it up and take a look at the mobo itself, it should say on there in white or similar lettering

6. rothery21

rothery21 Private E-2

ok, found what kind of mobo is in here, but I can't seem to find it available anywhere. Any idea of where I can look for it other than newegg? the MoBo is a Micro-Star model ms-6714 Ver:1 there is also a smaller heatsink approx 1.5in sq that has MSI 533 on it.

7. Emachanic

Emachanic Private E-2

If you got the bucks, a direct replacement MS-6714 mobo can be found here

8. DAKz

DAKz Corporal

I have 3 dead e-machines here all with blown mobo's, they are not very good machines and if you google e-machines you will see thousands of pages where people have come in one day turned it on to find that the board is gone to a better place!
    Tiger Direct sells a decent replacement board for the e-machines and is way better then the original board, however unless you replace it your self you will be looking at an expensive repair bill for the labor, board, etc...which is why I have 3 here! I have recommended to my customers with e-machines to replace the power supply and the mobo as soon as they can, sadly they can replce the computer for about the same price, or buy another case, board and power supply and try to transplant the good stuff from the e-machines to the new setup.
    I recently pulled one of the e-machines bad power supplies apart and looked into it, it seems that they are burning up a part near the voltage regulators, I can't tell the part any more because there was nothing left there but ashes and a scorch mark on the PC board so I couldn't even see a symbol, my guess is that when this goes it is send the wrong voltage to the mobo and murdering it, if your lucky! it can as easily send the wrong voltage through the 4 pin plug and destroy your processor, and I have read where both have happened. If your game to change it yourself then I think the price for a Tiger Direct replacement is around $40 and is a easy swap. Hope this helped some.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds