Reveal your gifts

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LauraR, Dec 27, 2010.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

So what'd you get????

This is the first year in a very long time I didn't get one electronic gift. *sniff*

We decided that we weren't spending as much so I got sweaters.LOL My hubby Loved his watch winder, though. :confused Seriously, he really liked it.

Anyone get any good electronics or other things?

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I can't as I already drank it.;) A watch winder?:confused Is this some kind of vibrating wrist or something like that?:innocent

3. LauraR

Well, was it at least wonderful?

Yes, a watch winder.LOL He likes watches. The ones he's not wearing stop if they aren't kept moving. rolleyes

4. augiedoggie

Yes, of course it was good.:drool A nice single malt called Glenlivet.:) I actually wanted to try Glenora, the only Canadian maker of single malt whiskey but she balked at double the price, I'm itching to try it out but I'll have to save up for it for my birthday. It's really a splurge, so I'll give up making lasagna with blue cheese, ricotta and parmagianno regiano cheeses.

I wonder how the gf will adapt to processed cheese and Kraft parmesan lasagnas!?:-D

5. LauraR

Most important....Ick Ick Ick on Kraft Parmesan! LOL Don't give up the good stuff...it's worth every penny.

Holy crap on the price of that second whiskey. That's expensive.

6. dave.m

dave.m Private First Class

I got a Dell Inspiron 1545 in June as an early Christmas Present because of a sale price. It was to take to Montreal from England for when we were going to stay with family over Xmas and New Year.
    We had booked in February to go with our grownup daughter, but in July I was diagnosed with stomach cancer and after 6 weeks in hospital and major surgery for a stomach bypass, it was decided that I must have about 18 weeks of Chemo to remove the cancer, so "No Flying" this holiday. Latest scan showed that the cancer is being shrunk and is not life threatening, thankfully.
    Instead, we bought daughter a Dell Inspiron too and sent her off to the family in Canada, where she is until Jan 5th.

Still had a nice holiday and we are planning to fly over in June/July when the weather is much better.
    dave

ps. doggie, I see you are from Mirabel where the husband of the family out there works for Bell Helicopters.

Have a Very Happy New Year, Everyone.

7. LauraR

Sounds like you got an extra special one also with the cancer shrinking. :)

You have a happy new year too. I hope you have one that entails a full recovery!

Oh, and yay on the new laptop of course, too! :-D

8. augiedoggie

Ya, I'd rather go without than ever use that sand.:puke Crap man, it's like $7.60 for 8 oz. grated or $4.60 for shredded 4oz.:eek Anyways, dem dere tactics would cost me a divorce.:-D

9. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I got nothing to write home about. No electronics, no computer parts or accessories, clothes several sizes too big...meh. I'd just as soon have given this year a miss.

10. runningcart

runningcart Corporal

i got an ipod touch and a a few CDs (Paloma Faith, Take That, Plan B) and a microwaveable hot water bottle thingy :)

yeah us too - bargain :-D

11. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Take That??? Aren't they dead and gone already?

I got a wireless 360 controller that is fully Windows-compatible. Playing Fable, Mass Effect, and my various platformers on the PC is just so much easier now! Second best gift was the remastered Blackadder Ultimate Edition. All four seasons and all specials they ever made, plus commentary! LOL

I also got a couple of brilliant DS games that made me think of you, Laura. They're puzzle/adventure games with solid story lines. ;) I meant to ask, by the way, do you have a Steam account for your PC gaming? They have puzzle games on sale as a part of their giant "we're temporarily insane and discounted our prices to stupid low levels for the holidays"-sale.

I also got a huge fluffy purple bath robe that I love, and several good books. It was a good year for loot. :)

12. runningcart

runningcart Corporal

they got back together!!! (technically the contract is only for 1 album, but you never know....)

13. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

The only thing we got each other was the little puppy. That was the only thing we both wanted. But there was a lot of doggy bones under the tree for all the furry friends. :-D:-D

14. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

"Most important....Ick Ick Ick on Kraft Parmesan! Don't give up the good stuff...it's worth every penny."

True words there Laura. I thought all Parmesan tasted like a dirty dish towel. Would not eat the stuff. Until I tried some of the good Parmesan.. :drool

I got a gas grill, and some wine. :-D My present to myself should be here in a week or two. :guns I was good this year. ;)

15. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Didn't get much fancy, got a small electrical repair kit with wire strippers and some connectors, probably favorite gift, some clothes and stuff, last month i did buy myself 4 more gigs of ram :), um oh and took the family out dinner at the resturant i do IT for, was a decent meal and and at half off it works for the pocket book hehe.

16. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

I got a lot of little stuff, but one strange(ish) thing I received was a big, round clock with a wooden frame and chirps a different Australian bird on the hour. Guess she figured I like birds, (of the feathered variety), when she saw all my framed pictures of birds around the house, and a somewhat similar, but smaller clock with U.K. birds featured.
    Also got some memory card and case for my camera, beach towels, clothes, different assorted edible goodies, a hamper of tasty stuff and some other presents I haven't got around to looking at yet. And the usual array of guy's smelly stuff, etc.

We're still O.D.'ing on turkey over here. I haven't even started on the 'half-pig' ham - I'm guessing I'll be living on ham everything for the next month or two rolleyes. And giving as much away as humanly possible. There's gonna be some mighty fat dogs and cats in this neighbourhood, soon! :yum.

17. LauraR

Nice. My oldest is loving her new iTouch. She and the cousins are all video chatting on them. LOL

Sounds like you hit the jackpot, Mims. :) My youngest and I just finished the first Syberia last night. She looked at me and was like are you getting Syberia 2? I said not right now. lol It was a good game and we'll do the next one. I don't have a Steam account. I have a Gog (?) one though since you recommended it. Great prices.

Awwwwww....bet he was spoiled.:)

Well get out that grill and cook us all something, Fred! :-D

Hey Cman.:) Merry Christmas. Haven't seen you in a while.

Still totally rolling at your phrase from the other thread: "I went a little, (read - a LOT), mad and bought a ham leg that looks like it may well have come from a Woolly Mammoth." roflmao

and hey...at least she was observant even if she did go bird overload on you! LOL

18. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Socks! and some clothes.

I'm not easy to buy for and dont think the Lamborghini Gallardo that was on my list was a goer tbh.

Still toying with the idea of getting myself an XBox360 + Kinect...

19. onyk

onyk Private E-2

just a simple things from my son...but it fulfill entire next year..a calender:p

20. LauraR

Yeah, I never get my Maserati GranTurismo either. :( So sad.

You need to make a decision on the games, Dave! :-D

21. DavidGP

I know, indecisive me or what!

Thing that worries me is that it will not get used as I dont have time most days of late to do anything remotely gaming, let alone just being on the forum. I guess I need freetime so this could be the items to wrangle me away from the PC.

22. Phantom

Yeah, I've really lucked out and made the mistake of taking the Brontosaurus ham out of the 'Ice-Age', so to speak, (deep freeze) and now I'm pretty much stuck with it - since you know how re-freezing ham and fish, (well any food, really) is a big no-no. I was led to believe I was catering for 60+ visitors for Christmas. - So I got 'surprised' and was asked out instead. I really, really had to bite my tongue on that one :mad rolleyes.

Yep, she doesn't miss a thing. Tiny thread or hair out place, (*shakes head); ornament in a different position, etc., etc. Now I have, in my office alone, two birdy clocks, a baby Grand Father clock, a digital weather station clock, two more digital clocks, and she also thought it would be cute to buy a Phantom clock one year rolleyes.
    I'm pretty sure a few people think I'm some kinda goofy clock nut! rolleyes When the bird clocks go off, they scare the Jebbers out of me, when I hear a cacophony of bird songs at once.
    Oh yeah, I got some animated picture frame of a waterfall and more nature and birdy sounds for my B/Day, which are fine, but the Cuckoo call is way too loud, so that one stays firmly OFF! ;)
    On a quasi-note, I realized I hadn't emptied my house bin in two days of 100 deg. heat - Ugh! - when I opened it.:puke

23. Mimsy

I really like the fact they're DRM free as well, but the prices are the main selling point.

I finally got Machinarium yesterday! Steam had it for $2.49, so obviously there as no excuse for me not to buy it at that price. Now I just need to find time to play it. :)

Eeewww! was there fish in there? :puke

24. runningcart

runningcart Corporal

Set them so them all to different times so they go off separately - then you can hear them all :-D

25. Phantom

Which would be great if the bird calls were an adjustable alarm, but they just sing on the hour, different one for each hour.

Re: Mimsy:- Yes, I think there were some Tiger Prawns and Snapper, (fish) that some grub threw in there. I couldn't get near enough to take a good look. I think there was some stanky Turkey in there as well.:eek

26. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

My friend got me an electric blanket, another friend got me Starbucks hot cocoa and Godiva chocolates. :drool My friends mom got me a delicious chocolate apple and a cute light up tree. The boss got me an electric foot warmer, a sweatshirt, hat & a $100 visa gift card. My sister got me scarves, hats, earmuffs, boots!! LOL and gloves. Mom got me earrings and some bath stuffs. It's going to be a very warm winter for me :cool

27. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Got a new Seiko watch (wife bought me one 9 years ago when we were just engaged . . . she decided it was looking a bit worn :-D); A 4-device component video selector; A scale model kit of a Roman warship circa 50 B.C. (I still build models now and then . . . I find it relaxing); cool radio from my dad that uses the 19.2 Craftsman batteries that my other tools use; my kids got me a Starship Enterprise pizza cutter (I kid you not - it's really cool!) and a titanium spork; various other odds and ends.

Pretty good haul this year! :)

28. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

No new knives or blades? ;)

29. Mimsy

Not for now, no. :)

30. DavidGP

Did I mention I gained indigestion this year as a gift, with 2 x Xmas Dinners and a healthy portion of Xmas pud just now.... oohhhhhh diet after new year!

31. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Just got an email that my gift to me will be shipped soon! I had to place a hold on it Monday because the store I was going to have it shipped to was closed for inventory...

Dang FFL transfer requirements!

32. Mimsy

Holy ****! :eek The Guy just came in and told me he had another gift for me, that he was going to save for Valentine's Day, but he apparently decided to give it to me now, just to make me happy.

I am now the proud owner of an 18 years old Glenlivet. :wine

33. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Nice one Mimsy! If you have had the 12 yo, let me know if there is a noticeable tasted difference. Enjoy it! :-D

34. Mimsy

I have. This one is (if I remember the 12 yo one right) a bit less sharp, more complex and somewhat smoother. There's more of "warm gold" in this flavor, if that makes sense at all.

35. augiedoggie

You are now my bff!!!:-D

It makes total sense to me Mimsy.:yum Enjoy.:wine

36. LauraR

Awesome surprise.:) Did you share with the Guy at all?

37. Mimsy

Of course. He doesn't like scotch nearly as much as I do though. :)

38. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Happy Holidays, everyone!

We had our first white Christmas in 25 years - about 4", which is a substantial amount for these parts. Wonderful!

We also put our feet down and made everyone else travel back to the old homestead this year. It was really nice having all the kids and grandkids here for a change.

Because of the weather, I had both fireplaces running for about a week - seasoned oak wood, good cheer and great spirits for all!

:) :) :)

39. LauraR

Sounds like a truly wonderful Christmas, Caliban. :)

40. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You do know that this thread title makes me want to post a picture!!!! :-D:-D

Oh, nevermind!

41. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Ahh! Tim, Halo and the bar maid makes for a XXX- Mas photo op :-D

42. dorkboy

dorkboy Private E-2

I was also super spoilt this Christmas!
    My girlfriend has bought me a surprise trip to Brussels for the weekend. She said it was a pretty random choice but really wanted us to go away together for the weekend. Shes booked flights, an apartment for us in Brussels and booked a table for us at a super classy restaurant in Brussels so I was pretty happy with that! Never been to Belgium but I've heard the belgian beer is pretty good so I'm happy with that! She can leave me mixing with the locals in one of the bars while she savages the shops!

Happy New Year everyone!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2011
  43. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

For my Holiday season I got divorced, (Dec.22), and then laid off from a job, (Dec. 31).

Think I should write a country song! rolleyes:-D

44. LauraR

Only if your dog died as well.

Seriously, dude, sorry to hear that. That must have been a pretty crappy holiday for you. Hope you're doing okay.

45. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I might have a used pickup truck you could drive around in, you know fetching shotgun shells and such. :-D

Seriously, sorry about all that. Hope things start looking better for you this year Brandypeppy.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds