Computer Will Not Shut Down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by evanglyn, Sep 28, 2005.

1. evanglyn

evanglyn Private E-2

I just purchased this laptop (Toshiba M55-S135) a week ago and of course downloaded all the things it needed. I downloaded Spybot 1.4, and as many of you might know, it has a bug so it is difficult to communicate with teatimer. So, I opted for ZoneLabs Security Suite.

When I tried to shut down my computer, ZoneAlarm would kick in and ask me whether I permitted it. I would save my decision as a setting, but it kept asking it despite that. Finally, after a few times this happened, Windows wouldn't shut down. When I would close the laptop, it would hibernate. It wouldn't even shut down when I try to do so from the welcome screen.

My guess is that ZoneAlarm's interruption during shut down caused this, but I really haven't a clue. Does anyone know what I can do to remedy this problem? Much thanks!

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

welcome to the forum :) ,you could try a system restore?or if like me you would like to know the exact cause of the problem,go to control panel-admin tools-event viewer have a look in system and application logs for problems that occurred when you have tried to shut the computer down,post the error message and code :)

3. evanglyn

evanglyn Private E-2

Thanks bunches, Ricky!

Well, here is a condensed version of what the logs say:

Application Errors
    Source: TrueVector Service Event(s): 5003 and 5011
    Source: Application Hang Event(s): 1002 and 1001

System Errors
    Source: Service Control Manager Event(s): 7034, 7023*

* There seems to be a pattern with this one. It is proceeded by 7035 & 7036 (information).

I'm not sure if that helped, but I hope it does!

4. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds