$hf_mig$ folder is missing

Discussion in 'Software' started by krit86lr, Mar 1, 2006.

1. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

Hi all,

I ran into a little glitch with CCleaner (new version). I'm running WinXP Pro SP2. It turns out that the "hotfix uninstaller" option deletes your $hf_mig$ folder. The creator of CCleaner was notified today about the problem, but it hasn't been resolved as of yet.

I searched my computer and sure enough the folder is not there. Will a sfc /scannow fix the missing folder?

Thanks in advance,
    K

2. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

Update: sfc /scannow does not replace that folder.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks

3. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

4. Franklin

Franklin Corporal

As I am into running a slimmed down XP it is one of many folders I delete.

Below is a description from Bold Fortunes guide which I use to slim XP.

C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$
    I delete the $hf_mig$ folder and its contents.

Per Microsoft: When a security update, critical update, update, update rollup, driver, or feature pack installs GDR (General Distribution Releases) version files, the hotfix files are also copied to the %windir%\$hf_mig$ folder. This supports migration to the appropriate files if you later install a hotfix or service pack that includes earlier versions of these files. For example, consider the following scenario:

1. You apply a security update that installs a GDR version of File.dll with a version number of 5.2.3790.1000 and copies a hotfix version of File.dll with a version number of 5.2.3790.1000 to the %windir%\$hf_mig$ folder.

2. You apply a hotfix that includes a hotfix version of File.dll with a version number of 5.2.3790.0000.
    In this scenario the hotfix installation in step 2 installs the hotfix version of File.dll (version number 5.2.3790.1000) from the %windir%\$hf_mig$ folder instead of the hotfix version of File.dll (version number 5.2.3790.0000) from the hotfix package.

5. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

So the hotfix cache folder isn't necessary. Sweet.

Thank you so much for that insight. (I was getting worried)

Have a wonderful day!
    K

6. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

Is the guide that you use a book, or a link? If it's a link...would you mind sharing?

7. Franklin

Franklin Corporal

It's not needed on my PC but others may have a different point of view.But then again I have several ghost images where it still resides.

The good thing about slimming XP is that security scans and defrags are much quicker.I would advise anyone that attempts to slim XP that you have image backups just in case.

http://www.bold-fortune.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  8. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

How funny? I printed that link about a week ago, and just haven't gotten a chance to read it through yet. I'll definitely be checking it out now. ; )

9. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

There seem to be differing opinions about whether that folder is ok to delete. It may be needed for future updates, but the scenario where it would be needed sounds unlikely to me. As I understand it, if you install an update, then later install another update that contains an earlier version of a file that's in the previous update, then you need it to migrate the later version of the file instead of installing the earlier version. Why this would ever come up I don't know, but it's Windows, it doesn't have to make sense.

If you're concerned about it, you might try System Restore, don't know if that would work but it couldn't hurt. I really don't think you're likely to ever have any problems because that folder is missing, though.

10. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

"Why this would ever come up I don't know, but it's Windows, it doesn't have to make sense."

Isn't that the truth. lMAO

So could this cause a problem when installing SPs? I suppose that's an obsolete question since MS is ugrading to Vista there probably won't be more sp upgrades for XP. But that would be an instance of needing that folder, right?

11. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

I hate when that happens. While I was seaching for info and typing my reply, somebody else posts the answer. Anyway, mine is the condensed version.

Yeah, I guess that would be when you would need it, but it sounds to me like it would only be needed if MS goofed up and put an older file in it.

12. Franklin

Franklin Corporal

Actually,if I remember correctly $hf_mig$ folder is recreated when any new hotfixes are installed.

13. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

I have one more question. What are ghost images?

14. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

If the $mf_mig$ folder gets recreated. Can you rebuild the cache?

15. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

"It sounds to me like it would only be needed if MS goofed up and put an older file in it."

Put an older file in the update?

16. Franklin

Franklin Corporal

Norton ghost or True Image backup software.Both good and there are quite a few more.I use Norton Ghost 2003.

They make a image of C which should be saved on another partition or slave drive.

If any probs happen to C you can restore C to exactly how it was at the time you made the image.Much better than system restore.

Even if your pc won't boot you can use a ghost boot disk to restore C from an image.

I know with my version of ghost that it can have probs working with sata drives.

17. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

Ok. I recently used Winbackup (same idea?), but it was after the folder was missing.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds