Any Weight Lifters?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by earlthemailman, Dec 22, 2005.

1. earlthemailman

earlthemailman Corporal

I was just wondering if any of the geeks here lift weights other than me, and actually I have a question. Do you take any of those pills and vitamins or whatever to help? I have been trying to research the different things such as Stacker or Creatine, but all I can find is "buy this cheap" or "buy that cheap". Right now, I don't use anything, but if it helps, I should probably take advantage of it. So I was just wondering if anyone has had any first hand expeirience with any of that stuff. If so, give me some input- Thanks

2. toehead410

toehead410 Corporal

You might try WebMD for your research.

[tip of the hat]

3. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

I used to work-out a few years back and when I did I went through several different fat-burners, creatine, amino steps, all kind of things. When I quit it all, I found that there was no significant difference in my results. Intensity, Diet, Sleep, Stretching, and mixing it up are the most important things, as you are probably aware. But, I would definitely check with your personal MD before making any decisions on what chemicals you want to put in your body. There is no such thing as natural when man has to process it.

4. comperroruter

There is the mass, sleep and stretching aide strength, and mixing it up helps the ole muscles respond quicker, over time. Wonderful little machine we have to play with, at least I think so.

5. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

do not take ANY pills. IMHO the whole 'health' industry is a con. eat as varied a diet as you can. little and often. think about the miracle that is your body. how it is designed to process food. then think about the chemicals that we now add to it. the processes that strip it of nutrients, the growth hormones, preservatives, colorings and flavorings. adding more chemically produced 'vitamins' , the diet fads of atkins, south beach, etc.etc. health is as much a thinking process as a physical one. it is good to exercise. it cannot be good to artificially alter the body's processes.

6. earlthemailman

earlthemailman Corporal

I am not really looking for a diet thing, or something to loose weight, but something to gain strength faster. Right now, I lift every other day, and do generally the same exercises. The core things that I do are bench press, leg press, hammer press (like bench press, but pushing the weight more horizontal instead of vertical), and then some other arm stuff I dont know the name of. I use heavy weight with smaller reps.

7. ryan44

ryan44 Private E-2

Even if you're not looking to lose weight..be careful of what you eat. Whether you want to be stronger, look stronger...or w/e..i suggest you eat like an average person, lift weights, but also do a little jogging or biking, or other sports activities to keep your muscle form.

8. comperroruter

If you want strength and are not worried about the size aspect of it, lift heavy, like you are, and change it up alot. I would work out very hard for two days and then one day lift light. Repetition has its advantages but I always found that my quickest strength gains came from not following a specific pattern for too long.

For example:

Always Always Always stretch before and after and about an hour later. Gets that all important oxygen in there to clean out the crap.

Monday: Chest..until it fails
    Tues: Biceps..until they fail
    Weds: Triceps..until they fail
    Thursday: Legs until they fail
    Friday: Back..until close to failure (not fun when you work the back to muscle failure)
    Sat / Sun rest and stretch

Then change it up the following week or two. If you dont let your muscles get into a routine they respond better because they dont have the chance to get acclimated to a routine.

9. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I used to work out for about nine years,I quit about a year ago its amazing how quickly your body turns to crap,I never went really heavy the most I'v ever benched was 6 reps with 210 lbs,its impossible IMO actually bodybuild while working you just too sore the next day well I was anyhow

I tried creatine I think it was 5g of creatine mixed with 10 glucose and pure orange juice 90 mins before the workout and the same after the workout I stayed the course for about 2 weeks,I didnt notice much strength improvement but could push out 2-3 more reps on each exercise-but after stopping the course those reps dissapeared,so I didnt bother with it again,after stopping the creatine also it seemed like the workout had become quite hard without the suppliment for a week or so afterwards

10. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I used to lift a long time ago but not to get big, rather to get lean. Doing martial arts when you are huge is not suggested :) as it limits movement.

I would find my 8 rep MAX on any given routine for all body parts on drop to 80% of that and do 12-15 reps instead of 8-10. 3 sets of those and then one last set at 30% @ 10 reps to flush.

My diet for lifting was alot of chicken and eggs. I used to make milkshakes with about 3 or 4 raw eggs about an hour before lifting. Arganine and Lysine were key protiens in my diet (hence the chicken). Put it to you this way, when I was 17, I would be putting out about 1000 crunches per day with 50lbs(25x2) olympic wieghts leveraging negative resistance.
    I can't do that crap now because I just can't find the time to fit it into my schedule, but man, I could get some serious go time in the dojo with just having my abs the way they were. People would hit me in the gut and bounce off.. now they would sink into my spleen..lol :)

11. comperroruter

People would lose their fists if they hit me in the fleshy area that used to be my ab's. Sucks when you stop working out, your body goes to hell quick.

12. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I can still kick above my waist. but in my horrible fitness level, that would not work out well. Knees are easier. :)

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Kempo?

Or Kenpo?

I used to study American Kenpo, and will be starting again soon. Very vicious, very effective :)

14. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I studied Kenpo for about a year.. if you like that, see if you can find a Kyokushenkai dojo around. Those guys make Kenpo look like yoga. Mas Oyama was one bad ass Shihan!

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I'll take a look. This place is mostly a Taekwondo (blech!) city. That and the myriad of Kosho Karate schools around that teach nothing more than how to get yourself hurt.

I really like Kenpo due to its street fighting similarities, and its a PERFECT compliment to Braizilian jujitsu.

Kyokushenka--is it similar?

16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ok. I am only familiar with American Kenpo, which only shares its Chinese roots by name. Its been ripped apart and modified since Ed Parker brought it over. I particularly enjoy the Tracy school of Kenpo, because they also teach Gracie jujitsu in the same place, usually, and tend to mix them a bit sometimes.

17. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds