iTunes damaging my music.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Archimdae, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Archimdae

Archimdae Private E-2

Itunes seems to be damaging my music over time. Song's I've put on there and listened to many time suddenly come up with this ticking sort of sound in with the music. Almost like tiny skips, tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick. Like listening to an old record with a scratch across it. It's the strangest thing and I can't find any information on it online. Though that might be from my lack of knowing what to call it. Some of the songs have it all the way through and some are just parts or half.

Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated.

Take care,
    Archi

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Is the problem just on your computer? If you play them on an ipod or burn them to CD, does it still happen?

Have you played with any of the settings? Edit > Preferences > Playback

3. Archimdae

Archimdae Private E-2

I've even tried running the music file with Quicktime, and its the exact same thing in the exact same spots; Ipod as well. I don't really know what setting to tweak that would effect it.

4. LauraR

ok...as far as settings see if 'Sound Check' is checked. If it is, uncheck it. That can distort. To be honest your problem sounds different though, but it's worth a try.

Are these mp3 files or are they downloaded from itunes?

If they are mp3, can you try using a windows media player to play them?

One more question...have you tried to uninstall itunes and reinstall?

5. LauraR

After doing a little research, it seems that this problem can occur when your computer does not have enough RAM.

What operating system are you using and how much RAM do you have?

6. Archimdae

Archimdae Private E-2

I checked that sound check box and it was not checked. Also I'm running windows XP pro with 2GB of RAM. I did find that refrence to skipping with low ram but isn't that just skipping? This is actually IN the song (I can go back and the ticks are in the exact same positions).

I had been deleting them as they happened and didn't check what format they were except the last one which was .m4a.

I think it's only happened to songs we've imported from CD's. Though we don't have a huge list of purchased songs, especially compared to the list of CD songs.

7. LauraR

Hi

Yeah, you should have plenty of RAM.

Did you try playing them using something other than itunes or quicktime?

Also, have you tried unintalling itunes and reinstalling?

8. Dreamer

Dreamer Corporal

If you imported the songs from a cd it is very possible that there was problems with the way the CD rom drive read the cd as it was copying it. Thats tick sound used to happen to me all of the time before I got new computer.

9. Archimdae

Archimdae Private E-2

I have reinstalled a couple times in the past. No luck.

Initially the CD drive problem is what I thought, but wouldn't that happen when they were first ripped? Most of them played fine after ripping and then at some point after that they started having the ticks.

10. LauraR

Please try to play your songs on something other than itunes. If you've uploaded your CDs, this should not be a problem as they should be mp3 files.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds