System32\Drivers\Pci.sys file MISSING???

Discussion in 'Software' started by Beau84, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Beau84

Beau84 Private E-2

HELP HELP...HELP!! I take great care of my computer but after moving back home, I do not use my laptop much, I turn it on to update windows and virus def's, and then turn it back off.
    Last night, suddenly, after installing the newest windows updates and I installed win amp, I was brought to a black screen that said the PCI.SYS file was missing or corrupt.
    I had disabled system restore a while back for something and forgot to turn it back on, now I can not go back and bringing the computer back to the last known good configuration is not working. While surfing or doing anything, I get the blue screen saying that windows was shut down to prevent further damage. I have NOT done anything abnormal, I don't understand why all of this is happening, PLEASE HELPPP. Here are my system specs.

OS - XP Home Edition - Service Pack 2
    CPU Type - Intel Pentium 4m, 1.613 mhz
    Intel Brookdale i845mp Motherboard Chipset
    768 Mb's of RAM
    Phoenix Bios Type
    Computer - Dell Inpspiron 8200

Thank you in advance for any assistance!!!!!

Beau

2. rainmak3r

rainmak3r Private E-2

Have you tried repairing the OS with Windows CD??

Or do a sfc scan, maybe this helps -> not as much work as a windows repair ;)

start>run>sfc /scannow

BTW: Are your chipset drivers on CD or file? Would need INTEL845 drivers ---- ;) the ones on intel.com apparently don't work for me as my onboard usbs won't work properly

3. rainmak3r

rainmak3r Private E-2

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Check your ram. More often than not, the file is not missing.

http://majorgeeks.com/Memtest86_d4226.html

The problem with replacing the file, is:

1. Its in driver.cab and not available from recovery console.

2. sfc /scannow only works in windows, in which case, you are not booting.

5. rainmak3r

rainmak3r Private E-2

That's why I posted a link to the extracted pci.sys ;)

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

How do you propose to copy it over, especially if the filesystem is ntfs? How do you know what service pack level this customer is using before reccomending grabbing a file from the web?

7. rainmak3r

rainmak3r Private E-2

Didn't diss you! - tryin to help - Just a thought ...

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The file you posted is for Sp1.

Best to wait and see what the ram test shows.

9. rainmak3r

rainmak3r Private E-2

Believed what the description said - thanks for your revision - at least it's english version ..

10. rainmak3r

rainmak3r Private E-2

Ram test -> How long do you usually let memtest check your RAM - heard about - at least 30 min -

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I usually run it for 3 passes, but if the poster is in a no boot situation, I'd wager it would show up in the first pass.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds