HELP! my computer doesnt work anymore... 2 beeps? :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by soulhaunter, Dec 8, 2007.

1. soulhaunter

soulhaunter Private E-2

My other computer does turn on and completes post but then it does another beep and shows another screen then the monitor turns off but the computer is still running...

I have tried the DDR RAM in both DDR slots and even tried another DDR ram...what do i do :(

Thank you

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Hello Soulhaunter, welcome to Major Geeks.

How do you know it completes Post? Is there information displated on the screen?
    You could disconnect the hard drive and prove that the main pc is still working, if it then stays running, displaying a message to insert and os disk you know there is something wrong with your hard drive.

If you have your windows CD, insert it and reboot to the recovery console and run check disk. Post again if your need help with this.

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

The beeps are BIOS messages as to what your PC status is at start-up. This link describes what the beeps mean. Find your BIOS and check. Also, try a different monitor.
    Sounds more like a video problem (possibly driver or card)

http://networking.ringofsaturn.com/PC/beep.php

4. soulhaunter

soulhaunter Private E-2

right, just disconnected the hard drive, it still does the exact same thing...

5. soulhaunter

soulhaunter Private E-2

erm well, the thing is, that website probably means two beeps together, these beeps are about 10-15 seconds apart

do u think maybe it might be the operating system? in other words, ive put this thread in the wrong section of the forum lol

6. soulhaunter

soulhaunter Private E-2

Me and my friend have no established that these are the things that arent the problem:

• the processor or the motherboard
    • the bios
    • the monitor
    • the graphics card
    • the RAM

then he says:

pete - cfehunter says:
    more than likely the boot sector has just become corrupted

wat do u all think?

7. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

8. soulhaunter

soulhaunter Private E-2

erm....we dont have genuine windows on that computer so no, we dont have the cd....

my mate said we could borrow his if he could find it though

9. gimpster123

gimpster123 Bring out the Gimp.

you can get to the bios?

10. soulhaunter

soulhaunter Private E-2

I can get there but before i can do anything, the monitor switches off...i cant even get to the boot menu to change it to the cd rom

its all so confusing, ive never heard off 2 post beeps 10 seconds apart before. I know its not the graphics card cos thats 8 short beeps and ive put in the graphics card wrong just to make sure as well so.

it might possibly be the RAM cos its probably not refreshing the page and not forgetting its information. and the computer and processor and stuff are still running when the monitor goes on stand by.

11. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Thanks for that link, Musky. Huge resource of valuable info. :major :cool Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds