Reloading Windows 2K

Discussion in 'Software' started by ChuckS, Feb 14, 2004.

1. ChuckS

ChuckS Private E-2

Since repairing my system from a recent “worm” attack, my computer is working much better but I’m have some peculiar stability problems – I can’t empty my recycle bin and I can’t view thumbnails in folders for example. Is it possible to re-load the operating system without changing internet connection settings, having to reload application software and reconfigure hardware settings

~chuck

2. Nothing

Nothing Private E-2

i dont know about connection maintance but it isnt too hard to set that back up. now i was able to downgrade from xp to 2k pro without formatting or removing connections and integrating the connections it shouldnt be that hard. I just had to use a ghost disk i made, and create a boot to the 2k setup after that it was flat pavement. It shouldnt be too hard just dont format and do a reinstall um and to save the connections. I did something i forget how but i did it none the less i saved all the important setting to a cd and put them in a file on the computer so this might help it may not

3. ChuckS

ChuckS Private E-2

I also have some software that I don't want to lose, it is keyed and the developer is no longer in business so I have no way of generating a new key. I'm hoping Windows 2K can look at my system and only install or replace what's missing.

Can I do that?

~chuck

4. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Yes, here's what you can do: setup your BIOS to boot from CD drive, reboot with your Win2k CD in the drive and follow the prompts to do a repair install (press R at the Welcome to Setup screen) of 2k into the same folder it was in before. The 2k install will re-detect your hardware, should be no problem there, and all your software programs, registry, connections and settings will be retained. You won't need to repartition or reformat. I would recommend you backup anything you don't want to lose beforehand, just in case.

I'm not sure if this will solve your problem or not, but it's the most straightforward way to do what you're asking.

Black Viper has a nice Win2k Installation Guide you might want to refer to before you get started. Feel free to post back with any questions or problems you might have.

5. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Last edited: Feb 15, 2004
  6. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Follow Alanc's advise, assuming you have system restore off, otherwise, restore to a date before the worm.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Just a couple small corrections :)

Win2k doesn't have system restore.

Repair installs delete system restore points anyway.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds