SSL - help learning it

Discussion in 'Software' started by SelahFalk, Mar 16, 2005.

1. SelahFalk

SelahFalk Private E-2

Hi all,

I am a relatively-new-to-this web developer and now in over my head! We have one page on our current website set up to use SLL (accessed through https) and I need to modify it.
    I also need to set up another page to use the ssl so that people can submit credit card information.
    I know that it goes through another port (43?) but I don't have any idea how to get to that port or how this technically works out. Any suggestions or places to point me to learn? Initial web searches haven't turned up anything...
    Thanks!!
    Sarah

2. QuickSilver

QuickSilver Corporal

I messed around with this a long time ago so although I can't offer any concrete information to go on I can suggest a few things to look into...

First of all I think you need to look into the Certificates that you need for going into the SSL - these are typically issued by a Certificate Authority (CA) - Verisign is one of these. Your web server will need one of these for using SSL (I believe)...

443 is the port that SSL uses - but this is only a default setting - you can tell your webserver to use another port if you like. But this is configuration of your webserver I think - it will just establish https and other SSL connections to this port and begin it's public/private key magic.

It's been a long time since I delved into any of this so I'll provide some sites that may be useful and let the other guys here jump in - I'm sure that several here must have looked at this kind of thing so...

If you want specific help in setting this up you may have to tell us a little more about what platform you are running your webserver on and which version it is : eg IIS x running on Windows y, or Apache x on Linux Dist y...

Verisign.co.uk

Handy SSL How To

I hope this gets you started in the right direction at least...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds