Services (Local) Configuration

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by krit86lr, Mar 18, 2006.

1. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

Hello. I have a 3meg cable LAN serivice and I am trying to figure out the best way to configure my services. I have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband router, and a D-Link DFE-538TX 10/100 adapter. All of this, including the cable modem is attached to my computer, and then another computer with a linksys wireless card connects to the service. DHCP connection type.

Both computers are randomly losing internet connection (really annoying), and because of this I have almost every service configured to automatic trying to fix the problem. I'm worried about my security at this point, and I was wondering if someone could please help me configure my services correctly. There are many, so I will only ask for help on 10 at a time. Is that okay?

Current Configuration:
    BITS - Auto
    Application Layer Gateway - Manual (but it starts itself)
    Computer Browser - Auto
    DHCP Client - Auto
    Distributed Link Tracking Client - Auto
    Distributed Transaction Coordinator - Auto
    DNS Client - Auto
    HTTP SSL - Auto
    IIS Admin - Auto
    IPSEC Services - Auto

Thank you in advance for any assistance that you can offer.
    K

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Hi krit86lr,
    Looks to me that you have 3 problems.
    1 - connection dropping
    2 - security concerns
    3 - services (which seems to be your #1)

As to services, I have used a guide here to help configure services -

http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

Depending on what you do with your computer, services are tricky because they depend on each other to run. I would suggest using this guide as a first step and changing start up types 1 at a time so you can see what effect happens at each step. You can change back if you run into problems.
    Once you get these straightened out, the other 2 problems can be worked on.
    The connection dropping needs to be straightened out before your security is changed.
    Being behind a router gives you a pretty good basic level of security to start with and settings can be changed in the router itself to help.
    Hope that helps get you started.:)

3. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

Thank you LBMEST. Thant link is great. I will get those adjusted today, then try to fix my dropping connection next.

Have a nice day. : )
    K

4. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

Hello again. I have most of the Services adjusted except for a few because they they weren't on the list or not on my computer. Could you offer some suggestions about these services please?

* HTTP SSL - Auto (not on the list)
    * IIS Admin - Auto (the list says not installed)
    * Internet Connection Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing - I do not have this service listed. How do I get it?
    * Message Queuing - Manual (the list says not installed)
    * Message Queuing Triggers - Manual (the list says not installed)
    * Network Provisioning Service - Auto (not on the list)
    * Simple Mail Transport Protocol - Auto (the list says not installed)
    * Vet Message Service - Auto (not on the list)
    * WWW Publishing Service - Manual (the list says not installed)

If you would perfer to move on to the connection dropping, then I am willing to do that. What kind of information should I post? There are many errors, and I don't want to overwhelm anyone.

Thank you again for your time, and patience. Have a nice day! :)
    K

5. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

6. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

Hello and thank you.

Apologies for not being clear about my setup. My computer and the modem are both connected to the router the way that you described.

Maybe this Cloning the MAC is my problem. Because 1. dhcp often cannot find the server, but when I call my ISP they say that the service is fine. Or 2. the IP Address lease for the Network Card is denied by the DHCP server (DHCP Server sends a DHCPNACK message)

Both of those errors are common along with the browser forcing an election on the network. Does it seem to you that Cloning the MAC is my problem? (that sounds funny, lol).

I will try to clone the MAC number. This sounds like the solution. :)

Thank you for your help. :)
    K

7. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

Hello

In regards to Cloning my MAC address, it didn't work. I went to my router setup, clicked on MAC Adress Clone, and enabled it (entered My MAC address). Did I do something wrong, maybe?

After that I couldn't connect to any servers. I was wondering if anyone could offer me anymore suggestions please?

Thank you,
    K

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds