Media Player files play audio but black screen

Discussion in 'Software' started by billete, Jun 30, 2008.

1. billete

billete Private E-2

I loaded videos from my hp camera and today for the first time, the videos play sound but black sceen, also found that all videos today have the same issue. any ideas?:(:(

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What windows version are you using?
    Have you done any updates of late, maybe a service pack?

Try adjusting the hardware accelleration in WMPs Tools > Options > Performance settings, move the slider lower ( this for WMP11 & WMP10 for XP for Vista and WMP11 uncheck on Performance tab Turn on DirectX Acceleration. )

Possible is that your missing a media codec which are needed to play various video and audio files, so this maybe a option in installing an all in one codec pack http://www.majorgeeks.com/Vista_Codec_Package_d5326.html

3. billete

billete Private E-2

Thanks, I did uncheck the directX, no change. I have found that Real one player has the same issue. I loaded Quick time player and it will play the videos, but I cant get HP photosmart to play or use Quick time.
    Since Real one player and WMP have the same issue I will look into codec issue

4. billete

billete Private E-2

I'm sorry, by the way I'm using XP. for now with this issue, might consider an apple next

5. toehead410

toehead410 Corporal

I am unsure if this will help you or not. I was having a similar problem. AVI files (recorded on my Windows Mobile smartphone) would play the audio portion, but not the video in ANY media player I have. Courtesy of komando.com, I began using http://zamzar.com/ to convert the files to WMV. This is a neat site. Step one is simply to upload the file to them. They e-mail a link to you so you can download them after they have been converted.
    I downloaded all kinds of codecs, codec packs and additional players. I'll be removing all of those now. I found this earlier today and have had 8 or 10 AVIs converted to WMV. So far, works great.

Jason

6. billete

billete Private E-2

Thanks for the info, I will look into this. It puzzles me though, that All my AVI's played before. I must have had an auto update that I can't find.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds