Networked but no internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by craigharrison, Jun 5, 2006.

1. craigharrison

craigharrison Private First Class

This is a different issue from the Server 2000. Same environment, 4 workstations networked to a server that is a Server 2000. One workstation was repaired after having its browser hijacked. I am able to login and see all the workstations and the server. I can do everything on the network except get an internet connection. I did an ipconfig and have an ip assigned to the workstation. I thought that Internet Explorer was damaged so I installed Firefox but still get no internet access. I used Hijackthis to clean up the problem. Is it possible that I deleted something needed to have an internet connection?

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

You probably need something analogous to the LSP fix for Windows XP browser hijacks. Can't tell you how to go about it exactly in Server 2000, but I think it's what you need to look into. This it what you would use for XP: http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

3. craigharrison

Sorry Doug, I should have mentioned that the workstation is running Windows 2000 Professional. I also had rebooted and used the option Use the Last Good Configuration but still no success. Thanks for helping.

4. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

I'm not sure if it's something last good config would necessarily solve. Actually, if you look at lspfix.txt on the page I gave you the link for, it says Windows 2000 in addition to 95, 98 ME and XP.

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

To reset tcp/ip stack in windows xp/2000

Click Start, then Run..., and put the following in the Open text box (or enter the following from a DOS command prompt which you can get by Start->Run-> cmd):

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

The results of this command will be output to the 'resetlog.txt' file.

6. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

7. craigharrison

I have furthered my problems. I tried the command line given by colemanguy and i totally screwed it up. Now I can't see the server but I can see another workstation which is another problem entirely that I started the thread titled "Server 2000 Help".

I ran an ipconfig:
    Connection Specific DNS Suffix: PGL.com
    Autoconfiguration IP Address: 192.254.223.91
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: ___________________

On one of the working workstations I ran ip config:
    DHPC: No
    IP: 192.168.1.15
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    Gateway Matric: 1
    Interface Matric: 1

Please help, this has gone from bad to much worse.

8. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

According to this article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299357 (Yes, I know it's referring to XP) the result of that command is the same as if you uninstalled/reinstalled the TCP/IP protocol, something not manually do-able. Perhaps you need to go into TCP/IP Properties for that machine's network connection and set it similar to that of another working machine on your LAN.

What's with the "PGL.com"?

9. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You need to supply a bunch more info ....can the server reach the internet? What properties are set in each workstation ....(as TheDoug asked ...what is with the PGL.com? ....that certainly isn't your domain name ) ....post the results of ...run - cmd - ipconfig /all to be able to compare each (the four computers should all have an address assigned by the server in the range of 192.168.1.1xx, with the router being the 192.168.1.1 (your gateway) ... each should have auto detect/assigned ip addresses ... and you may need to cycle your router to get it to reassign....are there any switches in the network? any access points?
    Understand that figuring network problems really needs a complete understanding of how your network is set up....:) :)

10. craigharrison

The pgl.com is the DNS suffix found in the other workstations when I chose properties and selected the Network Identification tab.

I'll get back on the other information in an hour

11. craigharrison

I have instituted many of your suggestions and have everything resolved. Thank you all for your help.

Craig

12. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds