WM Player Connecting to Unfamiliar Sites

Discussion in 'Software' started by Diocletian, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Diocletian

Diocletian Private E-2

I have some videos that I play from a usb stick. When I play them, Online Armor shows wmplayer tcp connections to what I assume is a website in the country that they originated from. There is also an "FFDShow" icon that comes up on the toolbar. I recognize that from the codec pack that I downloaded from CNET. THis only happens with a handful of videos. There are no browsers connected to the internet when this happens. If I click to terminate the process, the video stops and I have to restart it. When I click to close the connection the media player continues to play and the connections to the suspect destinations stop. This happens with the same videos every time I play them unless I disconnect my internet service.

I have recently run combofix with the help of an expert. SAS and MBAM come up clean.

What does this seemingly odd behavior mean?

2. Noone

Noone Private E-2

WMP does whats called Digital Rights Management. This is where a video can instruct the player to verify your right to watch the content from a website or other key provider. FFDShow is an excellent mpeg decoder. These are all normal behaviors within the scope of DRM.

3. Diocletian

Diocletian Private E-2

Ok. Thanks. I just thought it was odd that there would be a wmplayer tcp connection to Argentina while I was viewing and offline movie.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds