Start-up: How do I make my computer start-up faster?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mongooseba, Sep 5, 2007.

1. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Dear Experts,

My computer is cleared of Malware problems ... thanks to Chaslang. I wish now to clean up my start up items because my computer is taking rather long to boot. I believe I can configure my start-up items with your help. I do not know what I should dump and which to keep. What should I post on my attachment for you to help me? Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
    Mongooseba:)

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

If you click Start > Run and type msconfig and click OK, then click on the Start Up tab, you'll see the list of what runs at start up. It's been my experience that up to 95% of the apps listed can be unchecked (and in many cases uninstalled). Do NOT uncheck things like virus protection, firewalls, and related software. Certain programs (like many HP printer drivers) install lots of bloatware and rarely does this crap-ola need to be running at all times in the background. There's also some registry 'tweaks' you can do to speed up boot times, but lets do the startup list first. Feel free to post the list and we'll review it if needed....

hd2k

3. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

I use StartUp 1.3. Unlike msconfig it removes items from startup instead of just disabling them. Gives details to what items are and is only 103 Kb.

4. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Hi, all:

Thanks for the replies. Installed the StartUp 1.3 and it is a relatively simple program that allows the start-up programs to be displayed easily. Enclosed are the files for your perusal.

Sincerely,
    Mongooseba:yum

Attached Files:

5. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Upon looking at your start up list, I don't really see anything that should be slowing boot times that much. SUPER Antispyware slowed down my desktop load time, so I don't run it at startup anymore. It doesn't offer much real-time active protection anyhow (in the free version), and the little bit it does offer is covered by other tools that load much quicker (BHR 4.5 for example). SUPER Antispyware is great for scanning and removing spyware (and many viruses too), so I have it installed just in case something gets thru my active layers of protection; and I run full scans with all my malware programs every Sunday night, just to be sure. Anyway, I'm getting off topic. You can remove SUPER Antispyware from the startup list, as well as the Google Notifier, and probably the hot-key utility also (unless you're using hotkeys), but you probably won't notice much of an increase in start up times. Check this link:
    http://downloads.techrepublic.com.com/download.aspx?docid=173620&tag=nl.e101
    You'll need to register with TechRepublic (it's free) in order to read/download the article. Registering with them is TOTALLY worth it; you get tons of great links, articles, downloads, etc, and most of the stuff is free.... I'll look around for some other links/info and I'll post what I find.

hd2k

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Smart defrag ...not needed at start up....

7. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

8. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Here's the article from Tech Republic about speeding up boot times in Windows XP. It's attached as a zipped PDF file... I hope it helps ;)

hd2k

Attached Files:

9. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Dear All,

Should I disable in MSConfig or Remove from CCleaner or StartUp? Thanks.

Mongooseba

10. TimW

You can uninstall programs thru add/remove or ccleaner .....to disable items, use startup 1.3

11. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Dear TimW,

Which is the better choice? I have created a restore point just in case if there is a problem. Looking forward to your advice.

Sincerely,
    Mongooseba

12. TimW

To stop items from loading at startup ----> Startup 1.3

For programs you want to uninstall ---> add/remove programs.

Don't use msconfig ...unless you are trying to diagnose a problem.

13. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Dear TimW,

It seems that it is safer to stop the start-up items from loading rather than remove it. I presume that the start-ups cannot be recovered once they are removed, am I correct? However, you can recover them by reinstalling the entire program. Can you confirm my thoughts on this issue. Thanks again.

Sincerely,
    Mongooseba

14. TimW

startup only stops them from loading when you boot up ...the programs are still there....you just have to manually start them ...as in go to the shortcut on your desktop or to start/program/.....

15. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Dear HopperDave 2000,

Should I download and use the freebies that come after registring wtih "TechRepublic" forum? Are these programs any good and safe? They were giving out some password, firewall, and how-to-protect programs or files.

Sincerely,
    Mongooseba

16. TimW

17. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Dear Tim,

Thanks for the "good read." Can you point me to a tutorial on eliminating unwated services on my computer?

Mongooseba

18. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Everything I've ever downloaded from them has been OK. Occasionally they'll mislabel something as 'free' when it's actually just a trial version. Alot of they stuff they have is also here at MajorGeeks, so check here first. I use 'em mainly for the articles, which are many and very informative and helpful. I get daily and weekly emails (like the week's top downloads, the most read articles, new articles daily, new daily downloads, etc) from them that are super helpful....

hd2k

19. TimW

20. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Dear TimW,

Do you have any recommendation as to how I might be able to do the following for my child that is using the internet?

1. Control the hours of internet usage on a computer
    2. Block off unsuitable internet sites
    3. Secure computer to prevent any downloads or infections (besides settings on the IE to prevent download, antivirus, etc as explained in your recommended reading)
    4. Only allow certain websites to be viewed

Any advice or read-up that you could point me to?

Sincerely,
    Mongooseba

:wave

21. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

mongooseba: for your internet parental control needs, take a look at CyberSeive (link: http://www.softforyou.com/cs-index.html ) A friend of mine uses it and loves it. She tried 3 or 4 other products (gotta love free trial periods ;) ) before settling on CyberSeive. It will do all the things you need and more. It isn't free (14 day free trial; $34.95 after that), but my friend says it's totally worth it. Give it a look! There's also a bunch of articles you can read at the link I just posted, as well as a .PDF file overview of CyberSeive and a "how-to get started with CyberSeive" .PDF file. Both are probably worth reading before deciding on a product. Let us know what you decide on. There's another good one called NetNanny (link: http://www.netnanny.com/) that's pretty popular....

hd2k

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds