Can't create new user account in Win7

Discussion in 'Software' started by devil_jester, Sep 1, 2011.

1. devil_jester

devil_jester Private E-2

Hi! I just finished getting helped with some malware problem yesterday from the excellent Malware team. What happened was one of my standard users was badly infected and I deleted it through my admin account/control panel/etc...

I then proceeded to house clean my system as per instructions stated on the sticky/Malware forums. Everything seemed ok until I tried to create a new standard user since I don't like using my admin for daily work. I restarted and tried to log on the new user I made and it gave this error message

"The User Profile Service service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded"

I checked the ProfileList in the registry and it doesn't show the new account there. I also checked the Computer/Users and it's also not listed there. I even checked System Properties/ User Profiles/ Settings and it only shows my current admin account. Basically this new standard account only shows in the log in and in the Control Panel/Users.

I got into safemode and logged into my admin account. From there I switched the new user from standard to admin with no password. I switched to that user and it did load however it showed an error regarding the desktop. I'm guessing that's because I was in safemode. I got out of safemode and tried to log in this new user. Alas it shows the same message of "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded"

I went to cmd prompt and checked the localgroup for admin and it does show my main admin and the new user that I switched to admin.

I searched to get some answers but most show solutions for users that actually show on the registry. As mentioned previously, mine doesn't. The Win7 is pre-installed in my computer when I bought it so I can't just reload the OS.

Wow this has gotten long. Anyway, I hope someone can shine some light on this issue because it's really frustrating. I've never had problems creating new users before this. Please help! :( Thanks

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Your symptoms sound like a registry issue to me.

Sounds like the user account couldn't be written to the reg.

And this typically happens when the current user hive (a section of the registry specifically for user account settings) couldn't be loaded.

Are you comfortable working in the registry? If so, can you make any (harmless) test changes, such as adding a dummy value?

3. devil_jester

devil_jester Private E-2

To be honest I don't know anything about the registry and I don't play around with it because I'm scared to mess it up :p

However, with proper guidance/ instructions, I think I can handle it. :)

4. devil_jester

devil_jester Private E-2

Is there any other way to fix this besides fussing with the registry? Advice anyone? I'm desperate :(

5. LordOlives

LordOlives Private First Class

I'm wondering if the infections may have created some problems with the default profile. You could check your C:\Users\<user> to see if the user's folder was even created.

6. devil_jester

devil_jester Private E-2

I already checked there before, it really doesn't show any user I try to create. Only my admin one and the guest. The only one I can log into is the admin but not the guest. Thanks for replying :)

7. techsent

techsent Corporal

go to my computer.
    right click on the c:\ drive.
    go to properties/security tab.
    click the advanced button.
    click the change permissions... button.
    make sure the administrators group has full control of folders, subfolders etc.
    add a checkmark to the Replace all child object permissions etc.. option.
    click ok, click yes twice.
    clck continue on all errors.
    click ok twice to finish.
    reboot
    create a new account.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds