Old Gateway, No Sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frybo30, Sep 16, 2006.

1. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

I brought out my 1998 Gateway G6-300 with Win98 First Edition to play around with (so disregard the info in my signature). It has no speakers at present. But I thought if I connected headphones to the CD jack, I would hear through them. I don't. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

The CD jack should work in hearing sound from CD's in the CD-ROM drive only, not audio or sounds made from the computer. Have you tried plugging your head phones into the back of the compuer where the speakers would usually plug into?

3. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Thanks for the reply. Strange situation. I get no sound from the headphones plugged into the CD-Rom with a musical disk playing. But when I plugged the phones into the speakers jack at the back of the computer, I got the musical disk sound--very faintly. Also, I got sound from the computer--also very faint. One more thing: Can I plug just any kind of speakers into my computer as long as they have a mini-plug that fits the computer's speaker jacks? Or do I have to have special "computer speakers?" Thanks.

4. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

I'm not sure about using speakers other than computer speakers. You could always try it.

As for the no sound: have you tried basic things like going to the control panel, sounds & audio icon and checked to see if the sound settings are correct? You might have mute checked off or something because using the headphones in the speaker jack should work. I used to do it all the time.

Sorry I'm not much help.

5. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Yes, I've checked those things. It's a mystery, but I guess it's not too important since you helped me learn that the computer does produce sound and all I have to do is get some speakers. Thanks again.

6. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

Maybe a driver update would make the computer produce the proper level of sound when you plug in your headphones?

7. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

I'll check it out, once I get the Gateway hooked up to the Internet.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds