It looks like Indiana is gonna get some snow . . .

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Natakel, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Natakel

Natakel Guest

It's all moving through IL now. They are saying anywhere between 5 and 10" for my area (it keeps going up and down) - combined with ice and freezing rain. Blizzard conditions are possible . . ., with blowing and drifting of snow . . .

I HATE to shovel snow! :mad

But then, I'm lazy . . .

Attached Files:

2. Solange

Solange Sergeant Major

You're earlier than us this year, it seems! We've only had some powder, not enough to cover the tip of my boots, and it was gone within a day! Still... Even with the shovelling, it would be nice with some of that white stuff, the world is a little dark here, so close to Rudolf! :)

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Just about here, too. I'm the dot (Muskegon) right at the top of the storm.

Attached Files:

4. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

Watching the news while in the hospital when the ice storm hit they showed a person all bundled up working this huge shovel like 3' wide scooping big piles of slush (with ease) was thinking good grief that poor guy must be in good shape to do that. Then they interviewed her (elderly her) WOW, LS was right in a post saying you must be a hardy group (me, I would die too)
    Good luck to you, stay warm, wouldn't want any of you going to the hospital :(

5. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

Wish it would leave IL, the freezing rain is really putting a damper on the day...now snow, streets are ice though. I want some sun!!!!!

6. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

The crappy weather is heading her tonight.:p Sleet and snow for us tonight into the morning.

I'd rather be in the Islands.:cry

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

What's snow? LOL.
    Migrate to Cairns, FNQ, Australia.
    Most of the year we don't even need a top sheet or blanket on our bed.
    No such things as fireplaces, except up in mountains nearby.
    2-3 months of the year hot and sticky.
    2 weeks of the year (Winter) need a blanket, down to around 12°C.
    Rest of the year great weather.
    No need to own an umbrella to keep the rain off. Just wait 10-15 minutes and the rain usually stops unless we have a Cyclone :cry of course.

@Halo@ Just noticed you temp range yesterday was 3°C to 5°C maximum. :cool :cool :cool Bazza

8. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

We're going to be hit pretty bad too but it's too cold for any freezing precip thankfully. 16"+ 50MPH wind gusts, I ain't going anywhere tomorrow or Monday! Hopefully the power stays up so's I can surf and flush the toilet when I have to, I have a well. (not the two together :p) I'm near Montreal.

9. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

In North America, we seem to experiencing a freight train of weather systems all emanating from the Gulf of Mexico. With the Jet-Streams all dipping deeply into the USA south, they take with them, colder than normal temperatures out of the middle of Canada. At this time of year, the war of cold northern air versus warm moisture laden southern air, usually occurs in the region of the Great Lakes. From Detroit/Windsor through Niagara/Toronto/Buffalo/Rochester is usually the zone of the massive snow falls, accompanied by plenty of shoveling. A recent mayor of Toronto (Mel Lastman), in 1999 thought he needed to call in the Canadian Army to help with snow removal. He panicked when about 40 cm ( 16 inches) fell on Toronto. Needless to say, we all thought this was a bit premature as Chicago had reported 55 cm and they didn't call in the Marines. Where, I live, on the Northumberland Ridge in Southern Ontario, that same storm dumped 118 cm over a 3 day period. As the storm's prelude, there was freezing rain, which prompted all the SUV drivers to "park" their vehicles in the nearest ditches. By the time the snow ended none of those SUVs were visible in my area. It was more than a week before my road was passable, and after the earth-moving machines ( regular snow-ploughs were useless) cleared my road, it took 8 hours to clear a slot though the eight foot high pile of snow at the end of my driveway. I hope you southerners don't get weather similar to this. However, thanks to Mel Lastman providing the comic relief, most of us managed to survive, somehow.:D

10. augiedoggie

roflmao Too true! They think they actually have a snow worthy vehicle with all season radials.!:D I remember one storm where this guy tried to cut into the highway traffic but he didn't realize that there was a median under all that snow! Suffice it to say, I felt very good there with a long laugh!

Montreal got hit with 43cm+ winds in '71 and it was a disaster. People with snowmobiles were driving others home who were coming out of the subway from work, stupid companies and people paid the snowmobilers exorbitant prices but the army wasn't called out! I remember walking on top of the snow and the stop signs were at my ankles!

This time we're supposed to get over 40cm but where I live, rural, the roads are easily cleared as they just push the snow into the ditches where the SUV's are.:D

BTW, didn't Toronto call out the army a couple of weeks ago?

11. Bear9090

Bear9090 Private First Class

12. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

We've picked up about 3" of snow this evening and are going to get hit by 40mph winds and 6''-12'' inches more. Right now it's very pretty out but the morning is going to be ugly.
    [​IMG]

13. augiedoggie

Hehe muskie, I just love the smiley's you find!Anyways, we're hunkered down, plenty of wood and batteries in case the power goes out. I hope the UPS will last for a bit if it does go out. Laterz man.:)

14. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Not sure. I think I've seen it here, but it usually melts before I can verify it.

15. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

For those of you not lucky enough to live in the "Winter Wonderlands", here are a couple of pics from this morning. Keep in mind that I have only shoveled 3 times so far this year and it is not our snowy season quite yet.

The shovel is 4 1/2 feet tall.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

We don't get much snow, usually a thick coating of ice. I prefer snow I think.

17. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I've gone through a 20 pound bag of salt in the last 10 days, just to clear up the several inches of slushy snow and freezing rain we got. Had to because otherwise there would be a 3 inch layer of ice on my walk and drive.

18. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

19. bigbazza

Thanks musky for the pics. :major That's a serious shovel. :D Bazza

===

20. augiedoggie

Try shoveling out of this muskie!:D

[​IMG]

21. obnoxious

obnoxious Corporal

22. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

@ obnoxious.... Yes, Michigan"The Winter Wonderland"roflmao
    Those pictures are way they did away with these license plates.

Attached Files:

23. augiedoggie

Aaw, the poor dogs.LOL

Anyways the storm is over up here except for the winds in open places like highways which could create whiteouts. It wasn't as bad as forecasted, 'only' got 10 inches instead of 16. I'll take that anyday. The digging out starts tomorrow.

24. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

Still coming down here in Central NY. I have shoveled 3 or 4 times already today. Need to get the snowblower out and fixed. I just really don't like shovelling either :) One of these days I will make good on my promise to move somewhere that it is 80 all day and 60 all night with minimal rainfall :)

~C

25. obnoxious

obnoxious Corporal

Calltaker be careful of your own ability as to what you can do when out shoveling. This is a grim reminder of what can happen....

'Police said a 55-year-old Port Huron woman suffered from a heart attack while shoveling snow today.'

was only about 8 or 9 inches but still hard on the heart. Best to do a little then take a break and rest ,then do a little more and take a break. No need to hurry it will still be there tomorro

26. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

exactly... if it wasn't so costly, I would get a propane tank and a roofing torch and just melt it all :) and hope it didn't freeze anywhere near my front steps afterwards :)

~C

27. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Hey, I'm almost 54!:eek Only one more winter left in me.:cry

28. tjet

tjet Supersonic Majorgeek

We got 15 inches of snow and with a nice 30mph wind there are 3-4 foot drifts in my yard.
    From bare ground to buried in 12 hours.
    The snow in the driveway is even with the hood on the car.
    Our highway trucks run western style V plows and they are getting stuck.
    They say this type storm is called a Panhandle Hooker.
    And I am too upset to make the jokes. :cry

29. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

Looks like we have about 10-14 inches here in Sorryexcuse now.... just let the dogs out this morning, they loved it, but I have to go shovel again........ *sigh* I used to have a list of errands that I wanted to run today, but they just flew out the window on me :)

~C

30. darlene1029

31. darlene1029

Hope it get better for you soon

32. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

All this freezing weather talk is making me cold…move down to Aussie Land…Bazza area is purrrfect (most of the time anyway:p)!

33. bigbazza

Except for the Cyclones, :cry but at least we usually have 2-3 days notice of their tracks and impact area. Much better than the "Tornado Alley", in Central USA states. :(

Bazza

===

34. cur1611

cur1611 Private E-2

If we could borrow some of that snow in Western NC I would gladly come a shovel it for U. My kids are dying to see some snow.

35. koalaw

koalaw Private E-2

My better half is originally from way northern Indiana (as he describes it, the bottom of Mich. lake) and he laughs at our little snow showers here in so. illinois. He hates the snow. I've seen some good snow in our area in my lifetime, but from what he tells me, this is nothing compared to his area.

I'm enjoying the pics you guys are posting. I've never seen anything that bad.

36. tjet

tjet Supersonic Majorgeek

FREE SNOW!
    Bring your own truck. :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds