My PC/Home Theater setup plan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gimpster123, Jan 6, 2008.

1. gimpster123

gimpster123 Bring out the Gimp.

Allright, after a bit of researching, a handful of threads, and some good advice here's the plan I came up with.

I'm buying a home theater system. LG 500 Wat Surround Sound w/ reciever

I'm also buying this Creative Sound Card. It has a SPDIF optical out, so i can get surround sound on my pc via the LG reciever. I can't seem to find this cord, a link would be appreciated.

So I'm going to hook up my 22 inch monitor to the Theatre system via a KVM switch. So then using the switch, I can select my pc as the input or the reciever.

The eventual goal is to buy a larger LCD that will function as part of a dual monitor setup when not using it as a TV.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments?

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

You can buy the optical cable from most audio shops, if you have a local one then you could even ask for advice in there as well.
    Also is your monitor a standard pc monitor or is it an LCD tv with built in tv tuner? If it's just a monitor then I don't see how you could connect it directly to the home theatre system, but you could connect the pc unit via the SPDIF optical out directly to the amp.

Also, I'd want to pay more for a home theatre system - $179 (which equates to ~ £90) seems a bit low for a home theatre system. Personally, I'd buy the components myself - most likely buy a Denon amplifier, dvd recorder (possibly blu-ray if you could afford it) and then the stand-alone speakers.

Sadly, the disadvantage of doing this is considerably more expensive - but I'd definitely notice the difference in quality.

At the end of the day, it's up to you, though if you're buying a home theatre system then I'd recommend paying more.

3. gimpster123

gimpster123 Bring out the Gimp.

the Receiver(amp/dvd player/tuner) has an HDMI out. HDMI can adapted to DVI, which can be hooked up to my monitor.

My main problem right now is figuring out how to hook up dual DVI inputs on the monitor- I think I may have to buy a kvm switch. I've considered jst hooking up the pc on the VGA port of the monitor, but that will sacrifice gaming quality, as will running the PC video out through the reciever. Ideally, a "Y" cable would feed into the monitor, and the monitor would just display what ever source is on.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds