game.dat error with ATI 4770

Discussion in 'Software' started by parosblue, Jun 14, 2009.

1. parosblue

parosblue Private E-2

My neighbors young son has just got a copy of Lord of the Rings , Battle for Middle Earth II - they have an E6300, ATI 4770, 2gb ram running XP Pro SP3, but as soon as the initial logo comes up the game falls over with a game.dat error.

I tried installing it on my PC - EP45 UD3R, E6750, ATI 4770 4GB RAM Dual Boot XP SP3/ W7 7201 and I have the same problem in both systems - both XP and Windows 7 - the ATI drivers are the latest available.

I then installed it on my Dell laptop running XP Pro SP3 with Geforce GO7900GS and it works perfectly....

SOO, i'm a little irritated that my nice new ATI 4770 seems to be the culprit..

any ideas please?

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Seems to be a common thing with this game from EA, seems picky at what graphic cards it runs well with, seems Nvidia are ok but Ati cards fall over with that error, but do make sure you have latest patch for the game installed also as the patches do sometimes fix isssues like this Version 1.06 patch (latest afaik)

also check this posting out HERE and drop the screen resolution if using a hires widescreen monitor.

3. parosblue

parosblue Private E-2

yes, thanks, adding the option.ini file did the trick, although it doesn't explain why it worked on my laptop at 1280 x 1024, same res as the PCs.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Great on the option.ini fixing this as to why it works on one PC and not on other, then I'll be honest, not got a clue, PCs and software are weird at times and what works on one setup may not on another, likely with the new GFX cards you have that there was likely a small incompatability with that older game that EA have not fixed yet!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds