old gateway 133 on win 98

Discussion in 'Software' started by heallen, Sep 28, 2003.

1. heallen

heallen Private E-2

my family has a 2nd,3rd,fourth hand computer. it was given to us by an uncle.its running windows 98,it frequently locks up,it is really not that slow on a dial-up connection if ti is having a good day.all i can rememberabout it at this time is it is a p3 133mhz.all it does is internet duty .how would you go about reinstalling the os .i think that is why it works funky sometimes,most of the time.any help appreciated.

2. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

to reinstall the os, first you have to create a boot disc, somewhere in the windows 98 menu.(someone, where is this)
    then you have to go to ms dos (not prompt) and type: format c:\. then you have to put in the boot disc and the cd and reinstall it. If that doesn't work, try setting it to boot from cd in the bios.

welcome to Majorgeeks!

3. hw209

hw209 Private E-2

I think to make a start up disc for 98 is under control panel then add remove programs and there should be a tab there.It is also possible that since it is a gateway that you may have a recovery disc which will reinstall the os and drivers.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2003
  4. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds