DSL or Cable

Discussion in 'Software' started by gal1998, Jun 24, 2004.

1. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

I will be moving in about a month, and have a choice for my internet of DSL or Cable, (finally getting off dial-up).
    Which is the better choice of the two for speed and performance? All opinions appreciated.......

Thanks
    Gal

2. md2lgyk

md2lgyk I can't follow the rules

I've had both and didn't ever notice much of a performance difference between them. I think cable speed is affected by the number of users at a given time while DSL isn't. With cable, I did experience a lot more dropped connections than with DSL, but that could just have been my ISP.

3. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

We have a gamer's network in town and generally the cable modems are a little faster and cheaper, but less consistant on speed.
    Those that host games want to use Speakeasy DSL due to their liberal use policies. Those signing on to the other servers want cable to save a few $$.
    Usually the DSL is harder to get right. Here we have one company for phone and another for the DSL. They will spend days contacting each other while the user waits.
    Once sorted out DSL is very stable.

If you plan to get any sort of a server going - get DSL, otherwise get cable.

You can always change later :)

4. aLLiKZar

aLLiKZar It's not too late to back out!

Ive had both before as well and right now I am using cable. I
    would check with who your providers are in your area and
    do some research on them to see if they are a good company
    before investing. Check to see whats available, see the differences
    in prices, maybe find out about installation, definitly worth checking
    on their security measures, and perfomance.

Check out

http://www.isp-connections.com/compare-satellite-cable-dsl.html

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds