DSL or Cable, which is better?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PapaSmurf, Jul 11, 2004.

1. PapaSmurf

PapaSmurf Private E-2

hi,

i have dsl and i'm pissed. my modem loses connectivity and is running at poor speeds (i've compared my speed tests to others and it's on the low end). if you could post what internet you have and what is good/bad about it, that would be great.

thanks

2. DanTekGeek

DanTekGeek Master Sergeant

calbe has faster down but crappy up. btw, is that you smurfy?

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Phone companies are literally many YEARS behind the curve. Their concept is awesome and could dominate the industry, but I assume some upper level dork is slowing it down. The reliability and service calls, which can often take days, is all I ever hear about. I wouldnt touch it. I am assuming it should come of age by about 2010.

5. no_cookies4you

no_cookies4you Private E-2

Look on the bright side, at least your entire phone service isn't a mess. The Bellsouth people have been out here twice because our phones and DSL mysteriously stopped working, both leaving me gasping for internet access for a few days.

Oh well. Parental units make the decisions around here, not little ol' me. Although our old cable modem was pretty suckalicious too....but anyway.

6. WobblesRArt

WobblesRArt MajorGeek

I live in California, and we have three DSL speeds low is about 356 down, and 128 up. I have 1500 down and 280 up, I think. And one of my friends just started 3000 down and about 500 up.................

All of the cable adds use the low speed dsl to compare. When I first started the dsl, every thing was fine here at home, but not downtown at the phone company, they had a problem with the switching and portal. They fixed it with one trip to the house. Last March I upgraded to a new computer, and started having problems staying online. No body could find the problem, but after trying all the things that a person can do. I took the phone that was next to the computer, and kept hitting the receiver button several time's, and the modem would re-connect. I had to do that for two weeks. The problem doesn't happen now day's, but I still remember, that it will work..........

Most of my downloads speeds are at the 1500 max, but when I check, three or four times out of 10, the downloads speeds are in the 3000 range........wobbles

7. SHODAN1

SHODAN1 Private E-2

GENERALLY, Cable is faster than DSL. DSL can have poor performance if you are in the middle of nowhere. For example, I am on the "backbone" of a DSL line, so I have speeds that pretty much beat the ba-jeezus out of any Cable. The further away you are from a DSL "backbone" (I think it has to do with being physically closer to your telephone provider). The bad thing about DSL no matter where you are is it's upload bandwidth is a fraction of it's download bandwidth. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to be that was in many places. I'd say if your further away from the main core of a city/town/whatever, go with Cable. Otherwise, DSL, which is cheaper.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds