Video files - thumbnails or ????

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, May 15, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Attached is a screen shot of a folder that has 3 AVI files in it. It's really not a bog deal, but why are 2 of 'em shown as thumbnails, and one is shown with the VLC Media Player icon. They all have the same extension (.avi) and when I pause the mouse pointer on 'em, they all say "VLC Media File (.avi)". The 'View' setting is set to 'Thumbnails'. So why are they displayed differently when I open a folder? Like I said, it's not really important, and I'm just curious more than anything else....

(the red boxes are where I censored some information I didn't think was needed to get my point across; the black boxes are the thumbnails displayed by Windows)

Attached Files:

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Oh... I forgot to mention that I do have VLC installed, and I use it, so the mystery isn't why I see the VLC icon or why it says VLC in the file descriptions, but why it shows two files as thumbnails, and one with the icon. Why aren't they all thumbnails? or all icons?

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What are the sizes of the files?

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The three in the screen shot above are in the 900mb to 1.2gb range.

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

You could try running one through VirtualDubMod cutting off the first several seconds in a direct stream copy to see if it is a problem reading the beginning of the file used for creating the thumbnail. Might tell you something and should only take 5 minutes.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

See my thinking was the thumbnail couldn't be generated for the one file because it was too large.

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Hmmmm..... good idea sach.... I'll do that after work tonite and we'll see what happens. As to the file size thing, the third one in the screen shot is actually the biggest one of the bunch at 1.2gb; the first one is just over 900mb at 905mb or 910mb (I think) and the 2nd one is a bit bigger, maybe 940mb or so.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds