Question about RAM upgrade in Dell Dimension 8250

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by darkfate, Jun 25, 2007.

1. darkfate

darkfate Private E-2

Hi, I am trying to find RAM to upgrade my old Dell Dimension 8250 and I am confused as to what I can stick in it. I've done some research and found this page: http://www.shop4memory.com/memory-list/dell/dimension-8250.asp

My system is 533Mhz FSB but unless i spend a lot of $$$, i can't find any Rambus Ram that is PC1066. I can however find lots of PC800 for sale.

The Questions: Can I put PC800 Rambus Ram in my Dimension 8250? And furthermore, will ECC ram work even though my system specs call for Non-ECC?

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

you CAN put pc800 rambus into your system, however, if your current memory is pc1066, it will run at the lower speed of the two modules (pc800).

Also, RAMBUS memory is ridiculously expensive since its not been made for years. Depending on the price, it may be more cost effective to buy a whole new system (or at least motherboard, cpu and RAM) for the same price. Funny to think about, but true!

3. darkfate

darkfate Private E-2

Thanks for the timely reply. Lol, I have thought of ditching it but its just too much of a hassle to transfer everything. Besides, I think I can get a decent price off of EBay for the sticks. Thx again!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds